Model Categories

letsgobrowns82

Hey everyone I am always interesting in picking people's brains about this hobby and I thought this would be a good topic, I hope it hasnt been covered before. So anyways it seems like for the most part everyone has a favorite category that they build in. Not exclusively but for the most part. So heres the question. What category do you prefer (Armor, Aircraft, Sci-Fi, Automotive, Watercraft, and Figures) and why?
Personally I enjoy Aircraft because I spent 6 1/2 years in the Air Force. But I also dabble in Sci-Fi and I really want to venture into Armor just because I think its one of the most challenging categories out there. So whats your poison?

I love aircraft the most, even though i have the most trouble building them. Armor is number 2 and I do well in that category, and I love Tamiya motorcycles. Cars are my least favorite but i can build them better than I do anything else. I would like to get into figure painting with oils next.

Mine is Defo Armor WWII mainly but i will go as far as Vietman for my armor Modern stuff has little intrest for me Except for the odd one, the weathering you can do on armor makes every kit a difernt beats to tackle,
second is aircraft i rarly build them, if i do it needs to be an intersting looking one, modern jets bore me they all look the same to me. after that i would Say cars, i have a 1/12 Fw14b williams i bought in 1995 i have plans to build it, soon ish...

Sci-fi to the core, here.
Although I dabble in real aircraft now and then.

Been ages since I did a car

1:72 aircraft mainly, but started out modelling as a Sci-fi type guy.

Honestly, as long as I have a kit in front of me I'm happy. I like to jump around and experience all genres. I do however, have favourite subjects within each genre. I'll military for a few months, then sci-fi for a few and so on.
Good question Brownie! Should make for some interesting reading. Get to know each other a bit better.

spud said:
Mine is Defo Armor WWII mainly but i will go as far as Vietman for my armor Modern stuff has little intrest for me Except for the odd one, the weathering you can do on armor makes every kit a difernt beats to tackle,
second is aircraft i rarly build them, if i do it needs to be an intersting looking one, modern jets bore me they all look the same to me. after that i would Say cars, i have a 1/12 Fw14b williams i bought in 1995 i have plans to build it, soon ish...
I agree with your opinion on weathering Armor. In my opinion Armor presents the most challenge to the modeler just because a completed kit just doesnt look right. You really have to make them dirty and greasy and muddy to make them look real. I think thats why I am picking up a tank kit or two.

I do everything. I can always tell when a armor guy does a plane, it's got zimmermitt and bolts. I can tell when a car guy does armor, it's clean. I can tell when a plane guy does armor, It's got noseart and pitot tubes. I can tell when a ship guy does a figure, it's got port holes and steel plate. I can tell when a sci fi guy does anything, cause they have bits of all of them. ;D

I really do think if you do only one genre, you're missing out on so much more.

lol Gundamhead.

letsgobrowns82, check out ScaleModelMadman youtube channle if you need to get an idea on the weathering some good tips on there

I build everything.

Cars/Trucks, Armor, Aircraft, are my main focus, and I dabble a little in Ships, Sci-Fi and Figures, and do the odd diorama.

I build mainly Sci-fi, but in my past I built up everything. I recently I have built up a few planes, and I have a couple of car models in the future. I also have a few armor kits to dabble with when I finally retire and have all the time in the world.

I build mostly aircraft--wait, let me start again!

I start mostly aircraft :D but I also have a couple of 1/700 ships in progress, plus a car (Tom Daniel's Red Baron), plus armor (a piece of poop Czech model of a WWII Studebaker truck in 1/72), as well as a MaK Falke.

I believe that a good modeler should be able to build anything, regardless of his preference. I don't mean "good" as in contest-winning, professional builder, but anyone with some experience and the skills that come with it. You should be able to sit down with a kit and turn out a decent model, if you've been building for a while.

When I was a kid, I didn't realize that, and when I joined a model-of-the-month club, I cancelled after a couple of months, because they sent a kit from a different subject area each month, and I wanted to build WWII airplanes, armor and ships. I didn't want to build a Braniff Airlines 747, for example. But looking back, I think that I would have stretched my skills a little better, had I stuck with it.

Just my Senf, as the Germans say.

Armor Core... I wanted to veer away with some of my relative since the are mostly fly boys, as of now I'm trying to built or finish an Aircraft, Figure... will probably try vignette and a ship. also I did build one car Tamiya Evo 8...

I tend to agree with what the Baron has to say. I think that each category presents a different challenge and requires a slightly different skill set. Very good points though Baron I like it. I think it is good to challenge yourself with the unfamiliar now and again.

My builds are 95% 1/48 WWII. Throw in some WWI stuff and a few armor pieces and I'm good. Back in the day, when armor kits were a lot simpler than they are now, I would build them as a break from aircraft. They're not so much of a break anymore. ;D

I do go through phases though. Right now I'm on a twin kick. Got a Mosquito, P-70, He-219, A-20, TA-154, and JU-88 on top of the build pile now. I just got to finish these 3 or 4 pesky single props first. ;)

Every kit I've ever attempted to build or actually built in my adult life has been documented on SMA. As you know I'm a big Star Wars geek however I'm drawn to just about every genre. I guess that's why this site isn't genre specific.

I picture myself retired and building kits 40 hours a week. Right now I get about 5 hours a week.

I'm really drawn to WWII German Armor. I love WWII History & History in general. I see My self as an Artist & Making 3-Dimensional pictures, snap shots from My Mind, with My Models & Dios

I don't stray too far out of th Box , But I can say that since I've been a regular here ... It's helped Me to re-discover the Other Generes ! I'm a Huge Star Wars Nut , yet .. have never built a Kit ... Until th coming October with th Falcon Group Build !! I'm dabbling with a Car Model ( not since '83) right now , I did a Mech Suit Model for th Contest & soon with build a Jet Fighter ( F-15) !! Th 1st. since '81 ! lol

I love to build sci fi models most of all, and especially miniatures. I love war hammer fantasy and 40k, probably the painting more so than the gaming. But I also strive to challenge myself and build new models of different subjects. I'll be doing a German ww2 armored car, and iveq never done anything like that before, so it will be interesting. Joining this site has already helped me develop new painting skills and a more critical eye for detail.

I'd really like to become more skilled at dioramas. I just love them! Like a self contained little world, good stuff.

Was almost exclusively a quarter scale aircraft builder...but then thanks to Tamiya, I tried some quarter scale armor-- and being as how I really love the Commonwealth armor, I branched out to 1/35 to build my favorites there. Since then, I have learned it helps keep things fresh when I challenge myself to try something new, so in the last 6 months, I have added a couple Ma. K and Warhammer 40K items, and a submarine to the portfolio if you will ;) I am really enjoying branching out and have added more than a handful of the Ma. K stuff thanks to a good friend.

Latest posts

Back