Monogram 1/48 F6F

'Morning, everybody! I'm getting ready to go in to the office this morning, so here's a quick update on the Hellcat. The 3-color mid-war Navy camoflage is on, and here she is:

14-1Paintapplied1.jpg

The low-tack painter's tape is easy to work with, but even with low-tack, some paint still came off, as you may note. Just a little touch-up.

14-2Paintapplied2.jpg

I also knocked off the port landing gear cover during the unmasking, so that has to be re-attached. Again, no problem. I'm grateful that the radio masts are intact.

Before the blue went on, I used some flat black for the walkways, then masked those first. They really show in this photo, against the dark blue that I used, which happens to be a gloss color, too:

14-3Paintapplied3.jpg

Colors are all Model Master: Matte White for the underside, Matte Intermediate Blue and Gloss Blue Angel Blue for the upper surfaces. I had ordered dark blue online from Tamiya, but when it hadn't arrived, I checked my account and saw that the order didn't get submitted for some reason. No problem, HobbyTown is on the way home from work.

Here's the underside:

14-4Paintapplied4.jpg

I was extra careful on masking and unmasking the drop tank, but everything came out pretty easily (thank You, Lord!).

The canopy will stay masked, of course, till the very end.

Another thing to take care of is to clean the surface. The painter's tape left a little residue here and there, so I'll use a little diluted Windex and carefully wash it down, before applying the decals.

Hope to have another update this evening or tomorrow afternoon. My deadline is the end of the day tomorrow, anyway.

As always, thanks for looking, and criticisms/comments are welcome!

YbiC
Brad

Latest posts

Back