New To Scale Modeling

durangod

Hi,

Name is Dave, hello from east Texas USA.

I am new to scale modeling, never even built one as a kid. But i dove right into the deep end and started with the 122 scale metal earth black hawk UH-60. I saw that it took some people online a few hours to finish that, it took me 4 days LOL No more metal models for me for a while. Yesterday i started on my next model the tamiya 48 scale easy 8 tank. So far i have had two issues with it. One of the hooks for the rear is poorly made and broke, i had to redrill the mount hole and cut some sprue to shaple a new glue post. The other issue was with the bogies (6 set wheel and assembly) would not hold on model, i tried 3 times and even let it sit for
5 hours and it still fell off, poor design. So i had to use superglue, they aint coming off now LOL

Just wanted to say hi and im glad i found the forum.

Dave :)

Hi,

I am new to scale modeling, never even built one as a kid. But i dove right into the deep end and started with the 122 scale metal earth black hawk UH-60. I saw that it took some people online a few hours to finish that, it took me 4 days LOL No more metal models for me for a while. Yesterday i started on my next model the tamiya 48 scale easy 8 tank. So far i have had two issues with it. One of the hooks for the rear is poorly made and broke, i had to redrill the mount hole and cut some sprue to shaple a new glue post. The other issue was with the bogies (6 set wheel and assembly) would not hold on model, i tried 3 times and even let it sit for
5 hours and it still fell off, poor design. So i had to use superglue, they aint coming off now LOL

Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

Hi,

My 6 1/2-year-old grandson and I are assembling the same Tamiya "Easy Eight" Sherman tank. The one we are doing is in 1/35 scale. Are you sure it is a 1/48 scale? We have had no problems with any parts breaking. We are at the assembly of the "bogies" as you put it. I do not understand how your parts are not holding on the model. What type of glue are you typically using? I use Tamiya extra thin cement and also use Testors in the orange tube. I have never had any part fail to hold. Both of these glues actually melt the plastic parts together, so I don't understand the parts falling off the model. Could you explain a little better, so some others on here can help you avoid that problem in the future? Welcome to the Forum, the right place to get the right help!

Welcome. Tamiya kits are practically bulletproof with zero fit issues. Don't sweat it if it takes hours to complete a kit. Not uncommon to wok on a kit for a couple weeks. Just enjoy the build and don't rush.

Not sure what your issue is with the bogey wheels. What glue are you using? I use liquid glue and Testors tube glue. I also use Gorilla Super Glue on certain occasions/situations.

The only thing I can figure out is your bogey wheels assembly surfaces are painted and where they are to be attached to are also painted. Glue don't hold well on painted surface to painted surface. Scrape off the surface so glue has a clean surface to adhere.

My 6 1/2-year-old grandson and I are assembling the same Tamiya "Easy Eight" Sherman tank. The one we are doing is in 1/35 scale. Are you sure it is a 1/48 scale? We have had no problems with any parts breaking. We are at the assembly of the "bogies" as you put it. I do not understand how your parts are not holding on the model. What type of glue are you typically using? I use Tamiya extra thin cement and also use Testors in the orange tube. I have never had any part fail to hold. Both of these glues actually melt the plastic parts together, so I don't understand the parts falling off the model. Could you explain a little better, so some others on here can help you avoid that problem in the future? Welcome to the Forum, the right place to get the right help!
hi thank you all for the warm welcome and replies. @Dminor9 and @BlackSheepTwoOneFour when i got into the hobby i got the best stuff including tools, paints and glues. I am also using tamiya extra thin. Yes parts were primed and painted black as i am not going military but custom black n gold. I assumed parts would not stick with primer n paint on them but my bluetak was not here yet to cover up the connections so after painting i maticulously scraped all the paint n primer away and then with a brush i went over the spots with alchohol. So im not sure why they did not hold.

Somehow when i painted the track links today outside i lost 2 of them. Maybe a bird or my cat got them but all were there when i sprayed them. I glued them with tamiya before i primed them but after painting 4 of them fell apart, maybe i lost 2 then but i have counted the track parts and 2 are gone.

so i made and painted some fillers using 2 pieces of round sprues. When painted it will look like 2 gold pipes in links n thats ok.

I also got some stowage for tank but i believe i may have screwed it up color wize. Ill post that in a different topic. Here are some pics of tank so far.

20240828_224438.jpg

20240828_224359.jpg

20240828_224310.jpg

20240828_144018.jpg

Last edited:
i feel so dumb lol I did the trax the hard way i assembled them off of tank then fit them on. No wonder they look bad, and were a challenge. I just watched a video, i was supposed to assemble them on the tank, then they all line up, look nice, and easy to assemble. LOL live n learn

Also it comes with spare track pieces for the side but i did not know

Last edited:
Cleaned with alcohol? No need for that. You're over analyzing what should be done.

I rarely clean/wash my sprue trees before building. Some folks like to but NOT with alcohol but dish soap and rinse thoroughly. I think they're a waste of time, personally. Again, it's a matter of choice.

i feel so dumb lol I did the trax the hard way i assembled them off of tank then fit them on. No wonder they look bad, and were a challenge. I just watched a video, i was supposed to assemble them on the tank, then they all line up, look nice, and easy to assemble. LOL live n learn

Also it comes with spare track pieces for the side but i did not know
Best way to learn is from our mistakes. I've made so many I must be classed as an expert by now........ Pantherman

Latest posts

Back