newby

fatz

I signed onto this forum to note my problems with plastic car models. I build only 1/25 scale models (after two Lego models). I have built 12 or 15 so far.

The current model is a 1935 Auburn boattail speedster; Lindberg is the manufacturer. The problem with it is in the fit of components. I had to remove the tabs that connect to the running boards because they do not fit. They are about the width of the tab too far apart. There is a gap in which shows the frame in several places. I am not impressed with this model.

Another model is a 1935 Mercedes-Benz 500K (Johan). The seat did not fit--it was too wide. Fortunately, I had one from anther model which did fit. The model had provisions for turning front wheels and free wheeling tires. I glued them so they were not freewheeling. Whether I glue the turning is undecided. The kit did not include the door handles (there was a place for them, but they were missing.) I ordered some from a 1932 Ford pickup model to replace them.

I gave up on an approximately 1936 Cord. The pieces did not fit properly.

I have a problem with a certain manufacturer. They did not respond to my complaints, so I don't buy their products any more.

Does anyone have similar problems?

I signed onto this forum to note my problems with plastic car models. I build only 1/25 scale models (after two Lego models). I have built 12 or 15 so far.

The current model is a 1935 Auburn boattail speedster; Lindberg is the manufacturer. The problem with it is in the fit of components. I had to remove the tabs that connect to the running boards because they do not fit. They are about the width of the tab too far apart. There is a gap in which shows the frame in several places. I am not impressed with this model.

Another model is a 1935 Mercedes-Benz 500K (Johan). The seat did not fit--it was too wide. Fortunately, I had one from anther model which did fit. The model had provisions for turning front wheels and free wheeling tires. I glued them so they were not freewheeling. Whether I glue the turning is undecided. The kit did not include the door handles (there was a place for them, but they were missing.) I ordered some from a 1932 Ford pickup model to replace them.

I have a problem with a certain manufacturer. They did not respond to my complaints, so I don't buy their products any more.

Hi and welcome to the forum. It would be helpful to see the problem so if you can post some photos I'm sure someone will be able to help. Pantherman

I have always had problems with fit on Lindberg models, so much I just don't buy them anymore. With Johan I have never built a Johan model so nope no problems with me ;).

With manufacturers, I have only dealt with Tamiya. I broke a part and contacted them to see if I could buy that tree and they sent me one free of charge.

Johan and Lindberg are old kits and moldings are typical of it's time. Not too many of them are out there and most are out of production.
I'm well aware some Lindberg kits are still out there - mainly military subjects. God awful to build, lacking in details and often times found at Hobby Lobby, Ollie's and LHS.

Tamiya kits are bulletproof and great. Customer service for replacement parts are fantastic and free of charge. I had messed up on a Rufe wings and requested replacement parts. They sent me upper and lower halves of the wings.

I don't want to be known as a quitter, but I gave up on the Auburn. Too many problems.

Tamiya sounds interesting, but they apparently do not make what I build. Older car models from the 20s and 30s, some from the 40s, 50s and 60s (1/25 scale).

Latest posts

Back