P-47 Thunderbolt research help

ohbejuan

Hello,

I have not been too rigorous about doing research and finding reference photos, mostly content to use reference information from the kit manufacturer. I suspect I might be in the minority in that way :).
So, I was chatting with my sister's partner, and she said she had a relative that flew in World War II, in a P-47 Thunderbolt. I am now curious about building this plane for her.
She sent me this link. It has a good photo in it where I can see the markings. and the invasion strips.
https://mymemorialday.org/remember/hamilton.php

My question is... what are some good resources for finding reference photos and more information? I did some rudimentary Google searches and did not find much additional information.

Any suggestions are welcome.

You're not going to find aftermarket decals for that particular P-47 Thunderbolt scheme. Your best bet is make your own decals or find someone who does custom decals.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far! My friend is "up north" in Michigan for the summer and says she has more photos at home in North Carolina. So I hope to get the squadron and tail number in a few weeks.

lil ham.jpg
[Report - 8041 366th FS [IA-Z], 358th FG, 9th AF, High Halden, Station 411; "Mrs. Ham" / "Lil' Ham 3";
Shot down by Fw 190A-8 flown by unknown pilot and unit crashing on a wooded hill in Bérou-la-Mulotière,
France July 14, 1944; MACR 6878. Pilot killed ]

366th FS 358th FG
P47D-2-RE serial 42-8041

Augustus Hamilton died July 14 1944 over Berou-la-Mulotiere (France, I assume)
Some info here (although the aircraft info is not completely accurate):
https://www.database-memoire.eu/pri...ille-h-us/617-hamilton-gus-jr-366-fs-358-fg-u

I think I only do one aircraft (paper model) from that fighter group, and that's TarHeel Hal (shown below).
So I assume your Lil' Ham 3 might have the orange tail like Tarheel Hal, but I have no idea what any other forward paint might be.
(Until we find a better photo)
Keep in mind, Tarheel Hal (as shown) is a bubbletop (later D model), whereas Lil Ham is an early "razorback" style of P47.
And Lil Ham is obviously painted green, not bare metal.

I would be interested in seeing those photos, because I can add LIl Ham to my catalog.

P-47_Thunderbolt_IA-N_44-33240_Tarheel_Hal_of_the_356th_Fighter_Squadron_358th_Fighter_Group.jpg

adw-p47 tarheel hal Cover.jpg

Last edited:
Back