paint wheel

Freddie M

I'm looking for a paint wheel. One that will tell me in percentages what colors I have to mix to make my own paints. I'm not totally satisfied with the off the shelf colors available.

In what way you're not satisfied with off the shelf paints? What brand of shelf paint(s) are you referring to? What model subject are you painting?

AK Interactive Real Colors are highly recommended for military colors.

I struggle to find non water based paints. Can't find non-water based paints on Amazon either.

JJ

I struggle to find non water based paints. Can't find non-water based paints on Amazon either.

JJ
Can you order Revell paints from within the UK? Revell have an enamel line-"Email", German for enamel-as well as their water-based acrylic line, "Aqua". We can get them here in the US off the shelf and online. But it looks like they can be ordered through the website, too:

https://revell.de/en/shop/farben-kleber-zubehoer-paints-adhesives-and-accessories

Are Humbrol paints no longer available? There was a time when that was The British brand of hobby paint. I think they're still available, though I think the company changed hands a few years ago.

Another possibility is Tamiya's acrylics, which are not a water-based acrylic, and Gunze-Sangyo/Mr Hobby paints from Japan.

But I think if you look at the brands offered for fantasy/wargaming figures, they're mostly water-based acrylic paints. I think a lot of fans of the genre prefer the characteristics of water-based acrylics, especially fast drying time, and ease of blending colors. I like them for hand-brushing, myself, for that reason, though for airbrushing I use enamels and lacquers more.

Best regards,
Brad

What do the Germans call email, enamel?
Heh heh, no, they borrow our word "Email".

The Germans borrowed "Email" for "enamel", too. From the French. They pronounce it "eh-mile", stress on "mile".

"Email" for email, they pronounce like we do, "ee-male".

Oh, thirty Euros for 10 tins of Revell enamels. OK. At first glance, I thought that was 30 Euros a tin, and I thought, "Nope, my old bottles of Testor's will last me a good long while yet."

I have tried a couple of tins of it. It seems to work ok, even tho I still prefer the Model Masters I still have. I will say I absolutely hate the tins. The one tin I have the coating on the inside of the lid is pealing off, I can make it a real pain to get the lid off without messing the lid up.

I've heard good things for AK. I've been getting Tamiya acrylic mostly when I needed new colors. They have been laying down nicely with my airbrush, brushing has been harder for me as usual. I've gotten some Vallejo both model and game and I can brush a bit better with them and they also do well with airbrush. I'm currently using an Iwata NEO, by nephew has a cheapy Amazon one and he has a bit more trouble with the Vallejo.

Learning how to use acrylics has been a learning curve for me which doesn't help either.

Latest posts

Back