Panzer Kampfwagen IV Ausf.D North Afrika

I intend to try using pigments soon, I've been reading that alcohol is often used as a binding agent. Is that only with certain brands or formulas?
You would something like thinned wood glue or even paint as a binder. Pantherman

Alcohol would never be a binder .
It would just evaporate .
There's a lot of bad information out there. Alcohol is a thinner for many acrylics, right? I do see several folks saying that acrylic thinners make good fixers.

As I've heard said...one good experiment is worth 1,000 opinions. Will do some tests with multiple various things until I find a match.

Whoever these people are that think thinners of any sort have binding ability need to be ignored

I'm still learning with airbrushing and use mainly Vallejo acrylis and a few other brands of acrylic. When I thin paint (still learning how to properly thin my thicker paints) I use windex window cleaner. It seems to work really well for me.

I don't want to hijack or derail this thread about the Afrika Corp any further. But to add to the confusion for myself, here's a technique video where the author says thinner is adequate for most purposes unless caked on mud is the goal

And here's a more scientific testing session from Will Pattison (who agrees that thinner is a bad idea) but it is funny that he uses the quote I had earlier about testing > talking :)

There's a lot of bad information out there. Alcohol is a thinner for many acrylics, right? I do see several folks saying that acrylic thinners make good fixers.

As I've heard said...one good experiment is worth 1,000 opinions. Will do some tests with multiple various things until I find a match.
It's really trial and error until you find YOUR way. Fun practicing though. Get a big bin. Pantherman

Wait, is this why my GX 100 looked like snot when I tried to thin it yesterday? ‍

Latest posts

Back