Spare Parts Exchange Database

jasonsmith

Is there such a thing?

Seems like we have all kinds of bits and pieces left over from kits and projects. Ordering sprus or replacement parts takes a long time if even possible.

It would be cool if we could input a model number, spru letter number, position number and PRESTO, someone has the part you're looking for! Mailing these plastic bits around shouldn't be too much of a burden either.

Just an idea, I don't have a lot of datbase experience though, so it would be a task for a more reliable person.

Is there such a thing?

Seems like we have all kinds of bits and pieces left over from kits and projects. Ordering sprus or replacement parts takes a long time if even possible.

It would be cool if we could input a model number, spru letter number, position number and PRESTO, someone has the part you're looking for! Mailing these plastic bits around shouldn't be too much of a burden either.

Just an idea, I don't have a lot of datbase experience though, so it would be a task for a more reliable person.
Great idea. Pantherman

It is a great idea, but the size of your database, just think in terms of rows and columns, will be a chore for an IT person who is not getting paid.

I love this site, but even Scalemates doesn't have that kind of detail, down the sprue much less part number.

Last edited:
It would only have whatever has been put in by the part holder. I'm envisioning a form that auto populates the database that users will fill out.

Need to be careful of garbage in garbage out but ultimately it would be in everyone's best interest to be accurate.

For the beginning it'll be mostly "nothing found" as a result, but in time you never know.

There was a site like this for scale model aircraft parts ... years ago .
I think it was Canadian . ?
Have no idea what happened to that .
It was crowd sourced like you're saying .

Modelcarsmag has both Wanted and Trade threads. Both are popular threads and worth doing on here. I've got spare parts of auto kits and aircraft kits (1/72 & 1/48 scale). It's a good way to give back and help fellow hobbyists without buying aftermarket parts.

I don't ask for $$ if someone needs a part(s).

It is a great idea, but the size of your database, just think in terms of rows and columns, will be a chore for an IT person who is not getting paid.

I love this site, but even Stalemates doesn't have that kind of detail, down the sprue much less part number.
Scalemates is great. Nice site to keep track of your stash, which kit was completed, and which got binned.

I often refer to scalemates when making my decision prior to any purchases. Reviews are good but I take it with a grain of salt. A majority of them includes instruction guides and some majority don't depending on the age of the kit. Some newer tooling kits instruction guides are from older kits even though it's the same kit.

Not understanding why you label the site "Stalemates". It's not targeted strictly on model kits. There's more to it from paint, aftermarket products, decal sets, etc.. You just got to explore the site more. You'd be surprised what you might find. I know a good number of of hobbyists do use scalemates.

I have maintained a group spreadsheet before and it would serve the purpose. However it can become quite unwieldy with the inflow of data.

My example:

If users are given read write access then it will also be at risk of damage. If there's an admin(s) then they can protect it by vetting and adding the data.

A relational database is usually just upfront time and it'll take care of itself. It'll only report on what you're looking for a there's no need for organization or sorting as it finds whatever you're looking for and reports it. With a clear and concise input form it can run forever without manual influence. This of course is a best case option but may be overkill for our hobby. Spreadsheet data can also be added to a database at a later time if it's really successful.

It would certainly be a quick to implement solution and can be searched for particular info. I don't know enough about Excel to implement automation or reporting though.

Hi Jason, clearly you understand. It is the regular (and rigorous) manual maintenance where the cost lies. Give the world R/W access and it fails, limit 99.9% to RO and the overhead on admins skyrockets.

Latest posts

Back