What can I do to make colour more natural

Washes and weathering are the things that will tone the paint down a bit. Just doing a simple panel wash will have a big impact.

Thanks, I will try weathering it and see if it looks better, I am new to wearpthering but watched loads of tuturiol videos just a bit nervous of doing it

Hi I'm sorry for all questions but am new to this, I am making tiger 1 in Sicily colour ral 8202 , I am going to weather it but the colour looks like it has just come off the spru , so any ideas to make it a bit more realistic?

View attachment 114328
Have to agree with bear, one or more washes will do the trick. Allow a little while to dry thoroughly before adding a second wash if it's needed. Pantherman

As you build more and gain experience, you may learn to modify your base colors, too, by mixing in other colors. You can take a color off the shelf, and lighten it, darken it, to match what your eye sees and your mind expects.

Hi I'm sorry for all questions but am new to this, I am making tiger 1 in Sicily colour ral 8202 , I am going to weather it but the colour looks like it has just come off the spru , so any ideas to make it a bit more realistic?
Fade the paint first, by spraying several highlights of white (90%+) thinner to paint on the model. You can do this with a brush too. Just make sure to get one that is wide enough for the job. I prefer pastry brushes (about an inch and a bit wide) to do this.

Don't make it too uniform. Paint fades as it will, and randomness is part of that "correct" look. Here is an example of my 1/48th-scale US freight car. It takes a while by hand, but I get better results (more randomness) than if I spray. Note, this was an as-bought car, already painted and decalled.
Side-1-of-the-car-showing-the-lighter-weathering-treatment.png

Starting from scratch, I would do the following:
  • Paint the first layer as a primer (Tamiya Hull Red works well for that).
  • Seal the "primer" layer with dull coat or a dead flat clear compatible with your paint manufacturer.
  • If you want to weather heavily then I'd suggest making lighter-coloured rust coats and applying them (thinned) over the dull coat.
  • Lighten the "sand colour" with white and thin and begin spraying over the rust.
  • Then you can use good old Windex to begin the weathering.
Let me know if you would like a document that provides an overview of the technique. Happy to share it individually but prefer not to post it generally as I have never been able to contact the photographer, despite repeated attempts. Just send me a message on the forum and I'll send it over via email.

Back