What to do with "Stash" when a modeler passes?

fblanton

When A Modeler Dies
By Nancy Blanton

It’s sad and painful when a loved one dies, but that is life. We mourn, celebrate their life, and move on with our own lives. But happens to the “stash”?

My husband is a plastic modeler. He has his ‘man cave’ and his “stash”. But when he dies, what do I do with that room and all its contents? Well, I know I will keep a piece or two, but then what? There is the big trash can outside the back door but surely there is a better answer. My husband has been involved in helping widows clear out those rooms. But, it hasn’t been an easy job from what I’ve heard.

Some modelers have years’ worth of supplies and kits. I’ve seen some of those rooms and beyond, and all those kits could never be built in a lifetime. Then there is all the after-market stuff and paint and tools and brushes and air compressors and etc. etc. etc….

Men â€" REALLY â€" what do you expect your wife/children to do with your “stash” after you are gone?!? Have you written down instructions? I know - it’s like writing a will â€" never a fun thing to do, but IT HAS TO BE DONE! If not, other modelers get a call asking for help. I know of one instance where a guy spent days going through a deceased man’s “stash” to group, label and price items. I’m sure he didn’t enjoy it and would have rather spent his time doing something else. But, he was a friend and helped when asked.

I also know there is an option for widow/children to sell everything to a dealer/vendor for a lump sum, which, as I understand, for pennies on the dollar and probably not the best option. However, I wouldn’t know who to call, except one of my husband’s friends. Do you enjoy getting that phone call?

First, please take a good hard look at what you have. Do you really need everything that you have? Will you ever build all those kits? Wouldn’t you rather have the money? (NO, not to spend on other kits or supplies that will only sit on the shelf.) Second, make a list of what is to be done with your “stash” after you leave this earth. Make it easier on your wife/children. Give a copy to several friends so that someone else also knows of your intentions.

Well, you’ve been warned. But if you aren’t prepared while living, you’ll turn over in your grave when your precious “stash” hits the garbage can. Now, I need to find pen & paper and go talk with the husband about his “stash” will.

getting some Stick over the ever growing stash frank ;D

There you go throwing logic into the whole mess. ;)

I've helped widows in the cleansing process. Actually it's quite enjoyable and rewarding for me. does that make me weird? Well, OK, weirder? ;D

Being retroactive in life in general is always wise. Most decisions in respect to this are delicate and painful to say the least. Sometimes not so much as an early game plan can ease so much burden later on down the road. This is not much different then when seeking financial advice though it should be done earlier in life and not so much later. With a bit of luck hopefully most guys see the end coming and begin the thinning out process early enough. Problem with this is just that you never really know when your time comes. I know we all have fun showing off our stash and chatting about it but perhaps maintaining a much smaller stash is the way to go. 8-10 sitting in queue, with or without After-Market supplies, rather then closets filled to the kilt. To your point though it certainly falls into an "end of life" decision. These are always tough and as you know the letting go of items is just as difficult. I can only suggest bundling all the kits together and EBaying all in one lump. Airbrushes and Compressors separately from the kits. Maybe even do the same with his remaining supplies and tools. Again just a suggestion.

My wife and I have talked about it. She knows what to do with the stash.

And despite the substantial stash, I am actually more worried about the shop. I mean it could all be sold, but I am sure she doesn't want to spend the next 10yrs trying to sell the shop stash and my own stash (which is large enough to open another hobby shop!)

Not getting the stick at all from my Wife. Just a little something she wrote based on my experience in dealing with this situation several times here locally. My stash is very small, (26 kits), but I have seen guys pass with 400 plus.
Just something to think about. My wife Nancy is very supportive of the hobby. I am lucky.

Then Sir you are truly blessed. And for they record they build models in the afterlife. PARTY!

Being that the stash is only around 50 or so kits. I really don't think a second will is in order. The wife and I give a lot to charity so that's where my little stash will go. To the kids in need. Sure she can try to sell them for pennies on the dollar. I think kids will enjoy them more.

Latest posts

Back