Where to start?

fenceclimber

Hello everyone! I'm sort of new to all of this. I used to build a lot of models a few years ago when I was around 14 but some of them broke while moving and some of them just got lost over the years. I'm 20 now and I really want to get back into it, I play guitar and make music a lot but I just want to build something and have fun with kits again! :) I'm a huge Star Wars nerd and I love the Empire.

I live in Sweden and all the kits I can find here are the snap-in Revell kits and I'm not really into that. I do have access to eBay but I have no idea where to start and what kits I should be looking for and buy.

As I said, I love the empire, I always have and I always will.

I'd love to know if anyone knows some good kits to start with! :)

Welcome back to the hobby.
There are plenty of good Star Wars kits out there, in particular the Fine Molds range which are widely available and feature fantastic detail.
If you are wanting to 'get your eye in' then I'd start by picking up a cheap amt kit from eBay before checking out local suppliers for Fine Molds kits as the prices can vary quite a bit.

Welcome back.

As WebbyNZ stated; if you're looking for Star Wars models the range from Fine Molds are excellent. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Also as he said the AMT/ERTL kits are still available on eBay - likely for less money. They require more work to build up to look as accurate as the finemolds stuff but they are still very good models. I have a stash of them and hesistate to buy all the FineMolds kits until I build the AMT ones.

Being an Empire guy I would suggest the AMT Tie Fighter twin pack...however it's a bit rare.

Yup what they said, my first ever model was a 1/72 Fine Molds Tie Fighter and it got me hooked into this crazy hobby!

Scott Girvan said:
Being an Empire guy I would suggest the AMT Tie Fighter twin pack...however it's a bit rare.

It is a good kit, one of the best that AMT ever made.

Thank you guys! I'm going to order the 1:48 Tie Fighter from fine molds later today. It feels good to start building again!

There are some cool AMT kits from EP1 available, a Naboo fighter and a trade federation tank, if I'm a good boy and cut back on pizzas and soda this month I might afford those to haha. Even though some people dislike EP1 I still have a sweetspot for it :)

Just orderd the fine molds 1:48 Tie fighter, I also found my old Darth Vader Tie Advanced fighter and my Imperial Shuttle models! This is going to be fun.

I am also going to Stockholm this weekend and I might visit some hobby shops, are there any ''must-have'' tools that I should buy? Knifes, brushes, sandpaper e.t.c.?

Xacto knife and spare blades; sanding sticks; Tamiya Xtra Thin Glue (Green Bottle). That's really all you need for basic tools and supplies.

As far as painting, if you will be brush painting then some good quality brushes for sure.

Thank you! I've found a set of knifes with replaceable blades and a set of brushes. I'm going to buy a beginner kit just for fun to get myself back into it before the Tie Fighter, which shipped from Japan today! Yay!

Can anyone tell me which colors I should get for the Tie Figher, the store only stock Humbrol paint but I was thinking more in general terms like matte grey, black, red e.t.c.

This isn't the first tie fighter I've built but it is going to be the first one I paint myself. I really don't like the blue-ish color some kits seem to have, especially the Revell ones, I prefer them to be gray/grey and black, but that is just me.

Oh and just in advance, would it be okay if I'd make a build-thread later on and perhaps ask for advice and help so I don't screw up the kit?

Latest posts

Back