1/72 scale Eduard MiG-21PFM Vietnamese scheme

Nowak45

Hello, relatively new modeller here. Recently, I bought the Eduard 1/72 scale MiG-21PFM and was thinking of doing the Vietnamese scheme. However, I was wondering what the easiest way to paint the dots on it would be. Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush, I typically use Tamiya spray for big parts like the fuselage and wings. I tried to look and see if there were any aftermarket masks that could be used but to no avail.

Cheers.

MiG-21PFM.jpg

I would say, small pointed brush like a 0 or 1 and free hand it. The other why I've done this sort of camo on Luftwaffe aircraft is with a cotton-bud and a sort of dabbing motion. The paint pen is also a great suggestion.

But personally I would go with a small brush - paint the base colour (with rattle-cans if you so wish) and then freehand the camo - that's how I painted this ancient Airfix G50. Not the best of builds - but you get the idea. Practice on some scrap plastic (a bottle or something) or even a bit of paper before you commit paint to your model.

(Welcome by the way - why don't you post up your build and we can help along the way!)

G50.jpg

Cheers!

Hello, relatively new modeller here. Recently, I bought the Eduard 1/72 scale MiG-21PFM and was thinking of doing the Vietnamese scheme. However, I was wondering what the easiest way to paint the dots on it would be. Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush, I typically use Tamiya spray for big parts like the fuselage and wings. I tried to look and see if there were any aftermarket masks that could be used but to no avail.

Cheers.

View attachment 126576
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

(Welcome by the way - why don't you post up your build and we can help along the way!)
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman
Thanks, everyone! I haven't started the build yet as I'm at the stage of gathering all the needed supplies for it, but when I do start I'll make sure to keep everyone posted on the build. :)

Hello, relatively new modeller here. Recently, I bought the Eduard 1/72 scale MiG-21PFM and was thinking of doing the Vietnamese scheme.
Nice choice, I just finished that same jet in a 1/48 Eduard kit a few weeks ago.
https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/1-48-mig-21-eduard-8237.15645/

Without an airbrush those spots are gonna be tough. But rather than painting the light green and then adding the dark blotches you could try the opposite. Paint the upper surface in the dark green and use liquid mask to paint the dots with a toothpick, then apply the lighter green and peel off the liquid mask.

You can get liquid mask at hobby lobby but the kind used by painters is probably cheaper than the stuff used by modelers.
1728337848791.png

Back