Best 1/35 Cobra Heli Kit

Junkie

Yo.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what is the best 1/35 Cobra Helicopter Kit? There are a few from different companies and I'm wondering which is the best.

...not that I'm gonna divert from my current build. Just looking forward a bit.

Any of the Academy Cobra kits are by far the best on the market. Actually not sure if anyone else makes one in 1/35.

I would offer the one I had to you, but apparently I must have sold it already awhile back as I don't see it here.

Cool. Thanks.

I've been wanting to build a 1/35 heli for a while now and after seeing this pic I think I'll try the Cobra to start....sometime at a future date.

ah1w-155rs.jpg

The only kit of that version is the MRC/Italeri/Academy that I can think of. About $30.00. It's supposed to be a very nice kit, and there is AM but, I don't know the particulars for the AM.

Cool. Thanks.

Verlinden has AM cockpit and photoetch. There is other stuff around too, after a quick search.

Verlinden also offers a 1/32 Deck Tractor...as seen in the pic.

Now to find deck crew figures in 1/35....

Just a glimpse into my insanity.

So--if I was to ever build a dio of that scene above in the pic, I was thinking it would cool to not only model the flight deck....but model the side of the carrier: USS Kearsarge - and the ocean.

Of course...that's too big and crazy....of course.

I didn't call this place Scale Model ADDICT for nuthin ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Scott Girvan said:
Verlinden also offers a 1/32 Deck Tractor...as seen in the pic.

I think Revell/Monogram has a 1/32 cobra, not the same variant that's pictured but it is the same scale as the Verlinden tractor you mention.

Indeed they do:
revell-monogram-85-4677-ah-1g-cobra.jpg

I think I like the Academy Version better. I could scratch build that tractor. Doesn't look too difficult.

But I digress....this will have to wait until the X-Wing is finished and then I have the Falcon Group Build.

Might be a build to throw into the mix sometime in the early new year.

um wouldnt the side of the Carrier be Huge in 1:35 scale?

Really depends on what Era you want a Cobra in.....

G Cobra would be Vietnam era into the 70s,

S/T would be late 70's early 80s

W would be late 80's (I think) to today

And the Z would be the brand new one which are being rebuilt from the W models.

Pictured above is the Whiskey version.

The MRC/Academy kits are far better detailed than the old Revell kit.

Also, check out Cobra Company...he has lots of update sets for helos in all scales....

http://www.cobracompany.com/

This is the NTS upgrade for the Academy/MRC AH-1W, which is the most up to date version of the Whiskey Cobra, an would be what they are flying today until they are upgraded to the Zulu Cobra. Includes cockpit, as well as other items. Chris does some quality sets, for decent prices.

http://www.cobracompany.com/35009.htm

There's A BIG ED Pe and Masks set from Eduard for this as well. I think I'd almost NEED to buy canopy masks for this one. Verlinden also has a resin cockpit however from what I've read the Cobra Co. is better.

It would be Academy W (or Z if they have one) for me. Probably W in 1/35 and then scratch the tow tractor and deck. Again, figures might be a problem however I'm learning alot with my conversions for the X-Wing dio.

Found color reference online too:
Vallejo Model Color 905 and Vallejo Model Color 990 (those blue/gray tones)

Man I love this bird. What a beautifully designed machine. So menacing...so cool. I love how dirty they are too.

No Zulu Cobra in 1/35, actually none at all yet in any scale other than a couple of toy like ones.

OK...just an FYI.

Academy AH-1W will run you $40.00, AFV Club also has one, which I think from their past collaborations is actually the same kit as the Academy one....I could be wrong about that, but I believe it is infact the same kit. And if so...the Academy one is cheaper as the AFV one goes for $60.00

Aftermarket, while the Verlinden set is available for $29.75, the Cobra set actually gives you all the NTS upgrades as well. Not sure what else comes with the Verlinden set besides the cockpit, but the Cobra set is the cockpit and the NTS upgrades. Cobra set has to be sourced directly from them however.

PE....Eduard has 3 sets.

EDU-32087 1/35 Aircraft- AH1W Super Cobra Exterior for ACY - $27.50
EDU-32090 1/35 Aircraft- AH1W Super Cobra Interior for ACY - $27.50
EDU-32091 1/35 Aircraft- AH1W/T Super Cobra Armament for ACY - $25.50

If you don't want to scratch the tractor, the verlinden one #2634
..%5Csi%5CProductFiles%5Cvpi2634.jpg

Looking at $38.50, but it is 1/32, and not 1/35....but likely close enough.

I thought Skunk Modelworks made one in styrene, but it is 1/48

Cool. Yeah 1/32...might be ok. We'll see. I like to scratchbuild too so...

What does NTS upgrades mean? Not the same? Nice thick seats? New technical stuff?

Latest posts

Back