Chuck Beemans

Finishing up the decals…they seem to be endless on this one. Then a quick dull coat and weathering. Trying to decide what to do next. Thinking of a P-51 or a Spitfire. I've never done an Eduard before so I'm thinking about trying that route, open to suggestions. It will be my 4th since rediscovering this passion.

IMG_8236.jpeg

IMG_8233.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8251.jpeg

IMG_8234.jpeg

IMG_8257.jpeg

Finishing up the decals…they seem to be endless on this one. Then a quick dull coat and weathering. Trying to decide what to do next. Thinking of a P-51 or a Spitfire. I've never done an Eduard before so I'm thinking about trying that route, open to suggestions. It will be my 4th since rediscovering this passion.

View attachment 122783

View attachment 122784

View attachment 122785

View attachment 122786

View attachment 122787

View attachment 122788
It looks great, nice build. The Eduard spitfire is a nice kit to build I hear. Pantherman

A beautiful plane, well executed too! Why do a matte before weathering? Not saying you're wrong or anything, just wondering what I am missing. I usually do a gloss coat before weathering and decals then cover up my mess with a matte.

I recently built a Spit and Stang from Tamiya in 1/48, no complaints about either other than the simplicity. I think the Spitfire (Vb) had two sprues. If you want a quick build that you can start painting on quickly, both are good candidates IMO.

Oh and if you don't like doing lots of tiny decals, stay away from about 1964 to 1980 aircraft as subject matter. I think it is an F4-C that had ~200+ "stencils", my Mig-21 had almost 150 too. In fact I put it away to work on some other day after about an hour of fiddling with them.

A beautiful plane, well executed too! Why do a matte before weathering? Not saying you're wrong or anything, just wondering what I am missing. I usually do a gloss coat before weathering and decals then cover up my mess with a matte.

I recently built a Spit and Stang from Tamiya in 1/48, no complaints about either other than the simplicity. I think the Spitfire (Vb) had two sprues. If you want a quick build that you can start painting on quickly, both are good candidates IMO.

Oh and if you don't like doing lots of tiny decals, stay away from about 1964 to 1980 aircraft as subject matter. I think it is an F4-C that had ~200+ "stencils", my Mig-21 had almost 150 too. In fact I put it away to work on some other day after about an hour of fiddling with them.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on the kits. You're absolutely correct on the order of weathering and clear coat… I had that backwards.

I definitely enjoy putting together more intricate kits. The initial build and weathering are my fav steps in the process, although I'd never had an airbrush as a kid so I'm enjoying the painting more as I learn the ropes.

decals are by far the least enjoyable step for me and although they seem to have gotten better over the years, the Tamiya decals on this Gustav are frustratingly thick even after using Micro Sol/Set. I'm noticing that's a common complaint among builders on here.

I've also not gone all in with the aftermarket add-ons that are out there now which really add a whole new dimension to it all and I'm excited to incorporate them into my next project.

Latest posts

Back