How do you know what paint to use on my model

I don't think he's going to be using primer .
He should .
Sheepy told him it's not needed .
ridiculous upon ridiculous

He doesn't have to though. No, it's not ridiculous.

Seen that one, bad advice. I always prime.
Congratulations that you always prime. Here's the thing……

It's not bad advice for not using primer. It's a matter of choice, not a set rule that you "ALWAYS MUST" prime. It's a matter of choice, not a hard general set rule.

I know a lot of guys that never prime their kits. I rarely prime but the only exception I will prime is when I'm using Mission Models acrylics. Why? They scratch easily on unprimed surfaces.

Okay thanks. Just now I painted an extra part of the F-15 without trying to thin the orange. The Lacquer paint dried without being thinned in record time. I can't wat to see how the part looks painted!!

OH NO!!! I forgot that I need primer! Should I buy black primer for the orange parts and grey for the rest of the Helicopter?
Relax… if you feel you need to prime because these "experts" says so, buy Rustoleum 2X grey primer. More bang for your Buck. Walmart has them.

I'm greatly dissatisfied with the Orange. I might just leave the orange out. I just put a third coat on the wheel and we will see what that looks like... I realized that the wheel might be difficult to paint with all it's little indentations. Water cleans out the brush easily and I think I finally got the paint to the right consistency like milk like somebody said on here. I have another wheel and if I can't get this wheel to look good I will try the other side of the wheel without the indentations. I found that using a brush that's too big causes the paint to thin too much wasting the paint. I also found out NOT to use paper plates with a Thinner in the paint brcause the plate melts.

EDIT:: I wish it looked like the paint on the paper... THe green is just fine and covers well.

It's dry but the paint thins out across the top areas and gathers in the indentations.

View attachment 127062

Certain colors are very hard to use. White, yellow, red, orange need to be laid down in light coats - especially with an airbrush. Spray in several light coats until you build up the color. Typically 3 or 4 light coats you should see good results.

I got lost... am I supposed to be buying harddware store lacquer thinner?

EDIT:: somehwere on the interwebs there is a video of someone making their own thinning potion.
No, you don't have to. I'm saying what I use because it works for me all these years.

If you want to save the confusion and frustration of what thinner to use without worrying about the chemistry aspect, buy the brand thinner as your paint brand. Example - AK Interactive 3rd Gen paint, buy AK Interactive 3rd Gen thinner, AK Interactive Real Color paint, buy AK Interactive Real Color thinner, Tamiya paint, use Tamiya thinner, Testors acrylics, use Testors Universal thinner, etc…

I finally just globbed on the orange. first coat was terrible if I brushed it on like sweeping the floor. I used an extra soft round brush small enough to need to apply several globbs at a time. I think that after I let it dry and apply a second coat it might be okay.

Back