So im at the stage where im working on several models clear plastic parts all at the same time, (finishing my de Havilland mosquito canopy, p-40 canopy, and the porsche windows im doing the outside edges black) my question for the pros is how do you guys stop the paint from bleeding underneath the masking tape?

So you have all the info im using regular green painter’s masking tape, doing 2 layers, And im brushing on the paint for these parts . As you can see in the pics. The canopy is really bad , the window for the Porsche isnt as bad. But is still bleeding under. And I would like to avoid this in the future so I don't have to fix this everytime and waste time basically doing something twice.

C7A4F42E-68A9-4950-A97B-1852A4626A9B.jpeg

7B7EB7F7-E5C9-4CAA-BE03-D75C101C8768.jpeg

I tried the off-hand stuff from Amazon, 6 rolls 3 different widths, same problem no matter how meticulous I was in putting on and pressing down. Switched to Tamiya brand, no more issues. Under magnification Tamiya is a lot smoother, less places for paint to seep under. Also, sometimes canopies are easier to brush on.

So im at the stage where im working on several models clear plastic parts all at the same time, (finishing my de Havilland mosquito canopy, p-40 canopy, and the porsche windows im doing the outside edges black) my question for the pros is how do you guys stop the paint from bleeding underneath the masking tape?

So you have all the info im using regular green painter’s masking tape, doing 2 layers, And im brushing on the paint for these parts . As you can see in the pics. The canopy is really bad , the window for the Porsche isnt as bad. But is still bleeding under. And I would like to avoid this in the future so I don't have to fix this everytime and waste time basically doing something twice.

View attachment 119017

View attachment 119018
I always use tamiya tape and rub the edge with a cocktail stick to seal it. Rarely have any issues. Pantherman

Number one. You're using green painters tape. Is that frog tape? Cuz if it is you have to wet the tape for it to activate. Also you mentioned brushing it on. I would spray it. There's a lot less chance of it seeping under and you can also control the direction you paint.

Burnish the tape as best you can, with a toothpick or similar stylus (hat-tip to you, Pantherman!) Or whatever masking material you use (eg, vinyl masks).
Another trick some use is to apply a clear coat over the masking to seal those edges and prevent paint from seeping under the tape. I use Future, for example, and I have tried applying it to the edges of the masking. It worked OK, but I've never had much of a problem with paint seeping under the masking, so I don't do that every time. When it has seeped, I've used a toothpick to scrape away the paint.

I always use tamiya tape and rub the edge with a cocktail stick to seal it. Rarely have any issues. Pantherman
I use a few things to rub the edges in depending on what shape/area im trying to tape off. Like this with the Tamiya TS spray paints is no big deal and I dont have issues. But when I try and brush the paint on it always bleeds, even if I try and get the smallest amount on the brush and do little by little it doesn’t matter

288A68C4-B8BD-4C15-AA29-05B07CC98876.jpeg

I use Frog yellow tape and burnish the edges. I don’t normally have any issues but if I do get some bleeding I just take it off with a toothpick.

I use Frog yellow painter tape. Cheaper, thinner, and lasts longer than Tamiya tape. Never had issues with them. If subject is same color as fuselage, I glue canopy in place already masked up and use an airbrush. I never hand paint my canopy framework.

Latest posts

Back