I;m a noob but why shouldn't frog tape work?

A video for you that I found. It's for painting houses but maybe it will work on models?

masking video says that dust will cause bleeding
I haven't used frog tape as I usually use tamiya tapes and have had no issues with them. Having said that, what ever tapes you use, I would suggest going along the edge of your tape with a cocktail stick to ensure that the edge is sealed to the plastic. Pantherman

I'm just a hack at this. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. But it works for me.

The first 2 things I definitely do is # 1: And sometimes this literally takes a couple days: Make many very very light coats with the paint. (I assume that you are airbrushing). So light that it will never run. #2, Burnish the tape edges very seriously. And the 3rd thing is KISS-ASD; Keep it simple stupid and slow down.

One thing I find about this hobby of plastic static kits is, one can never be in a hurry if they want a well completed model.

The best finished model takes time.

Trial and error are the best teachers for your skill set to become masterful. I have trashed many kits over the years and found that patience and experimentation are the keys to a great completed model. But make it your own.

Plastic modelling is about history for me. A small 3-dimensional picture of yesterday. When it comes to war machines and such, if it doesn't match what the pros tell you, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I had a pro modeler tell me that a specific WWII vehicle never had a STG 44 rifle in the crew section. That was silly, and he was a master modeler far above my skills. Then I showed him a photo from 1944. I just didn't care whether or not it really happened, it was my kit based on photos. He was shocked.

Enjoy. Slow down. Be well. Model on. Make it your own. And when it comes to paint and masking, in my experience, Slow Down is key.

Eric

Last edited:
Back