ICM Spitfire Mk.IX - PE

Chuck Beemans

Just picked up this 1:48 ICM Spitfire mk.ix on eBay and was trying to find some PE and any resin parts to try and give it some upgrades.
IMG_8321.jpeg
I found this PE set from Eduard, but ICM has a few different 1:48 mk.ix's and nothing I could find specifies which version it's compatible with. I'm hoping that's because it works with all of them.
IMG_8319.jpeg
Wondering if anyone has some experience or suggestions on this. I'm notorious for getting myself in unicorn searching situations and I'm hoping this isn't one. unfortunately this kit was an impulse buy, preventing myself from planning ahead, but I did get it for $12 so not a huge blunder…I hope.

So I'm already regretting my decision to pick up this kit, but I I've already ordered PE for the cockpit which after putting together the engine, is sure to be a less than pleasant phase of this build.

Since getting back into modeling I've done 3 kits. First a Revel Dauntless that sat for 19 years unopened. Then the first Tamiya kit I'd ever done which was a Kettenkraf then the Tamiya Gustav. I was completely blown away by the engineering and how perfectly the parts of the Tamiya kits come together. And I didn't realize just how great it was until starting on this ICM Kit. I spent about 1.5 hours on the engine, 45 min of which were cleaning the flashing and trying to figure out the directions while simultaneously and unsuccessfully dry fitting the parts, and trying to find examples out there to make sure I had it right. It came together finally, but its flaws are glaring and I'm not too excited about picking it back up anytime soon.

IMG_8407.jpegIMG_8408.jpeg

On the other hand, I'm not one to easily give up and figure perhaps in documenting this build I might help some other poor chap who's chosen to self flagellate by taking on this particular kit.

More to come…possibly.

So I'm already regretting my decision to pick up this kit, but I I've already ordered PE for the cockpit which after putting together the engine, is sure to be a less than pleasant phase of this build.

Since getting back into modeling I've done 3 kits. First a Revel Dauntless that sat for 19 years unopened. Then the first Tamiya kit I'd ever done which was a Kettenkraf then the Tamiya Gustav. I was completely blown away by the engineering and how perfectly the parts of the Tamiya kits come together. And I didn't realize just how great it was until starting on this ICM Kit. I spent about 1.5 hours on the engine, 45 min of which were cleaning the flashing and trying to figure out the directions while simultaneously and unsuccessfully dry fitting the parts, and trying to find examples out there to make sure I had it right. It came together finally, but its flaws are glaring and I'm not too excited about picking it back up anytime soon.

View attachment 123735View attachment 123736

On the other hand, I'm not one to easily give up and figure perhaps in documenting this build I might help some other poor chap who's chosen to self flagellate by taking on this particular kit.

More to come…possibly.
I have found with ICM kit's that you need to look forward in the instructions to see where the part you are working on fits. Pantherman

I have found with ICM kit's that you need to look forward in the instructions to see where the part you are working on fits. Pantherman
Definitely. I did a fair amount of research on the RR Merlin in advance which kind of helped but the complexity of it in reality depleted my appreciation for the quality of the kit even more.. It's a remarkable engine.
IMG_8388.jpeg

Latest posts

Back