Less Toxic Option

Do you have ventilation ?

All those solvent cements are about the same .
Primarily acetone and butyl acetate .
Butanone ( MEK ) for the faster set varieties .
Ethyl acetate works about like MEK and is less " bad " but you still need some ventilation . ( sold as " MEK Substitute " )

You can always go back to using CA ( super glue )

You can weld polystyrene with xylene ( Xylol ) ( dimethylbenzine ) too ,
but , I wouldn't consider that an improvement in the vapor arena , lulz

I do have a fan and 2 air conditioners going, i live in my RV so the smell seems to be stronger

So do you have fresh air renewing things or is all that HVAC just recirculating all that vapor in that small space ?

Well , be careful .
You can wear a respirator designed for organic solvents , but you don't want a lot of buildup in your living space obviously .

I was wondering if there were less toxic options for glue. After a few hours tamiya gives me a headache
Get a full face painting respirator that you can get at any hardware store. I use one when I have a long spraying session.

You're not suppose to sniff glue while building. LOL!

Sadly most glues do have a smell. For 50 plus years, I never really noticed any odor while building. I guess I'm used to it. Maybe open a window or don't spend a few non-stop hours building. Paint has an odor too. Maybe it's a combination of both. I don't know.

I remember Testors had tube glue that had a citrus smell - like oranges or lemon. That type didn't adhere to plastic worth a damn.

You're not suppose to sniff glue while building. LOL!

Sadly most glues do have a smell. For 50 plus years, I never really noticed any odor while building. I guess I'm used to it. Maybe open a window or don't spend a few non-stop hours building. Paint has an odor too. Maybe it's a combination of both. I don't know.

I remember Testors had tube glue that had a citrus smell - like oranges or lemon. That type didn't adhere to plastic worth a damn.
Hard not to sniff it when working up close with glue dobber in hand :) So thats why im always happy when building models lol :)

I've been using the first of the two you've mentioned for a couple years. It's very low in odor, seems to attach well with a good fit. The bottle states non-toxic although on their website It doesn't. I e-mailed them concerning this although never received a reply. I also use their putty and it's very low odor also.

I may want to try the Roket glue….

I'll have a look in Michtoy.com. Besides, I'm due to restock on Deluxe 10-second liquid glue. Love that stuff better than Tamiya liquid glue.

Latest posts

Back