Plastic Sprue Nipple Maker

durangod

I am using old sprues to make some things. In the process i have to create nipples on the end of the sprue to connect it to a part. This takes alot of time to manually cut each one and none are exactly the same.

Someone needs to create a nipple creator tool. Maybe like a pencil sharpener which will make a consistant nipple. Maybe a special drill bit accessory.

By nipple i am referring to the little nipple on plastic model parts that inserts into a hole for glueing.

Huh ?
Any pics ?

usually you can just use plastic rod , from Plastruct or Evergreen , and glue that to the part at the required position .
Or use metal rod / wire . Drill and place the metallic rod ( steel , copper , brass , aluminum rod or tube ) with CA .

Best Saturday morning post on SMA ,
" Someone needs to create a nipple creator tool. "

Huh ?
Any pics ?

usually you can just use plastic rod , from Plastruct or Evergreen , and glue that to the part at the required position .
Or use metal rod / wire . Drill and place the metallic rod ( steel , copper , brass , aluminum rod or tube ) with CA .

Best Saturday morning post on SMA ,
" Someone needs to create a nipple creator tool. "
Got my attention straight away...... Pantherman

...By nipple i am referring to the little nipple on plastic model parts that inserts into a hole for glueing.
All kidding about nipples aside, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean the little pins that are molded on parts, that fit into a hole in another part? Locator or locating pins, they're often called. Some short-run kits, styrene or resin, might not have them.

Yes lol I call them tits but if i used tit machine, well you know lol

I was trying to do this without having to go to the store for materials. Only wire i have is welding wire and solder wire so cant use those. I dont even have any paperclips to cut up.

Here is a pic

20240914_094330.jpg

Yes lol I call them tits but if i used tit machine, well you know lol

I was trying to do this without having to go to the store for materials. Only wire i have is welding wire and solder wire so cant use those. I dont even have any paperclips to cut up.

Here is a pic

View attachment 124601
Could you just CA the part in place? Maybe use a 60 second type just to give you time to get it in the right place. Pantherman

That first photo of that piece you're working on ,
it appears you're sanding material away ?
I would slice out the mounting tenon using a sharp #11 blade .
Cut downward only , with the part firmly on the cutting mat .
rotate the part around to facilitate each set of cuts ,, it can be left rectilinear , or once it's the size desired you can quickly round it using fine grit sandpaper to match a drill bit size .

Sounds to me you're trying to create some sort of sanding needle file?

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...ted/FLX00000404/product.php?s=4-3&t=2-2&u=2-2

Hobby Lobby has them as does scalehobbyist. Honestly, I think you're overthinking too much for this hobby. Not that it's a bad thing.

Remember, this suppose to be a relaxing hobby, not one to stress you out when it comes to hobby tools. Take some time and search in different online hobby stores like Scalehobbyist and www.michtoy.com

Sounds like you're making more work for yourself. The alignment pins/locator pins do help line up the parts, but they're not really necessary. That is, we can assemble the parts without the pins, just need to take care when lining up the parts.

Latest posts

Back