Remembering a Hero

GaryG64

Ever since I had my red memorial bracelet for an MIA serviceman I had wanted to build his aircraft, an F-4C Phantom.
I had upgraded my red bracelet and the name is slowly wearing off.
Col. Peter Joseph Stewart was report as being a POW for 25 years. His remains have since been returned home as of 2022. After 56 years he is finally laid to rest, respectfully.

"On March 15, 1966, Stewart was the pilot of a two-seater F-4C aircraft. It was the second in a flight of two on an armed reconnaissance mission over northern Vietnam. The lead aircraft spotted two vehicles as the flight approached the target area and Stewart responded he was going to strafe the trucks. The lead aircraft, while maneuvering to engage the targets, lost sight of Stewart's aircraft, but saw a bright orange explosion over the trucks. Attempts to contact Stewart's aircraft were unsuccessful. He and the flight commander, Martin Scott, were declared missing in action."

I have found a Phantom that I will use to commemorate Col. Stewart and Commander Scott.

20240714_131553.jpg

Screenshot_20240714_132514_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240714_134312_eBay.jpg

Ever since I had my red memorial bracelet for an MIA serviceman I had wanted to build his aircraft, an F-4C Phantom.
Col. Peter Joseph Stewart was report as being a POW for 25 years. His remains have since been returned home as of 2022. After 56 years he is finally laid to rest, respectfully.

"On March 15, 1966, Stewart was the pilot of a two-seater F-4C aircraft. It was the second in a flight of two on an armed reconnaissance mission over northern Vietnam. The lead aircraft spotted two vehicles as the flight approached the target area and Stewart responded he was going to strafe the trucks. The lead aircraft, while maneuvering to engage the targets, lost sight of Stewart's aircraft, but saw a bright orange explosion over the trucks. Attempts to contact Stewart's aircraft were unsuccessful. He and the flight commander, Martin Scott, were declared missing in action."

I have found a Phantom that I will use to commemorate Col. Stewart and Commander Scott.

View attachment 120024

View attachment 120025

View attachment 120026
Great idea. Sad backstory but it's brilliant that he is remembered. Power to you... respect. Pantherman

View attachment 120024

View attachment 120025

View attachment 120026
I love the thought of doing this. Kudos to you Gary.

If you are able,
save for them a place
inside of you
and save one backward glance
when you are leaving
for the places they can
no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say
you loved them,
though you may
or may not have always.

Take what they have left
and what they have taught you
with their dying
and keep it with your own.

And in that time
when men decide and feel safe
to call the war insane,
take one moment to embrace
those gentle heroes
you left behind.

~Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
1 January 1970, RIP

If you are able,
save for them a place
inside of you
and save one backward glance
when you are leaving
for the places they can
no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say
you loved them,
though you may
or may not have always.

Take what they have left
and what they have taught you
with their dying
and keep it with your own.

And in that time
when men decide and feel safe
to call the war insane,
take one moment to embrace
those gentle heroes
you left behind.

~Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
1 January 1970, RIP
Thank you. This is awesome.

I'll need to do some deep diging to find out what squadron he was with.
I will put both of their name on this aircraft. Hopefully I'll be able to find a photo of him with his jet, I'll try to get it as close as possible.

Thanks for the support, guys.

I'll need to do some deep diging to find out what squadron he was with.
I will put both of their name on this aircraft. Hopefully I'll be able to find a photo of him with his jet, I'll try to get it as close as possible.

Thanks for the support, guys.
Discovering history is one of the most rewarding byproducts of this hobby. I've always enjoyed history, this just takes it to a different level, more personal.
Can't wait to learn more about Col. Stewart.

I was able to find this information;

"Air Force Col. Peter J. Stewart was a member of the 8th Tactical Fighter Squadron at Ubon Airfield, Thailand. On March 15, 1966, he was the bombardier/navigator of a McDonnell Douglas Phantom II Fighter (F-4C) on an armed reconnaissance over Dien Binh Phu, North Vietnam. On making a bombing run on trucks, his aircraft was shot down and exploded. His remains were not recovered at the time. Through the work of the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, the remains of Col. Stewart were accounted for in 2018. His name is permanently inscribed in the "Courts of the Missing" at the Honolulu Memorial." (https://data.abmc.gov/decedent-search/stewart=peter)

I also found what the jet might have looked like and the possible Squadron, the 497th.

f-4d-phantom-ii-25th-tfs-8th-tfw-jp-2700.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_122200_Chrome.jpg

I guess I didn't pay attention. The jet that I ordered is a 1/72 not a 1/48 (I have ordered the 48 from Amazon. These jets are not cheap, I paid $63.00 way more than I hoped, but that is the average price. I hope it's worth it.
Another ooops is the aftermarket decals are a 1/144 way to small for the 48, so I'll be sending these back.
The 3rd one is the Eduard cockpit panels. They are the right size but for Hasegawa. I'm hoping they will work on Academy.

So, all in all I need to pay attention to the orders.
The kit should be here tomorrow.

Screenshot_20240723_004856_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240723_004623_Gallery.jpg

20240723_004405.jpg

20240723_004423.jpg

I just learned for the seller of the decals, he sent me a message that he did send the wrong size and will refund the full price. I'll probably just use the decals that come in the kit.

Last edited:
I got my kit today. It's going to be a large jet with hundreds and hundreds of decals! All of the call points, warnings, caution, etc are really small.
I feel this will be a good build and tedious decals.

20240723_223456.jpg

20240723_224314.jpg

scooby doo GIF

I started working on the cockpit last night. The black parts of the control panels are a rubbery- type, and the PE parts do not stick well with CA glue even after filing down the part detail or with an accelerator.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back