Spark plug wire boot

durangod

hi im trying a new challenge, im making spark plug wires 8cyl engine. I got the wire and drilled the holes in the distributor, but how do i make the straight and L boots for end of wires?

i have discovered that superglue and tamiya glue will not stick to tiny telephone wire, must be a special kind of coating on the wire.

20241022_091519.jpg

" Tamiya glue " isn't a glue , it's solvent .
butyl acetate and acetone .
It ain't " sticky " , it will only solvent weld plastics .

CA is ideal for bonding metals but not all polymers , polymers like the insulation coating that copper conductor in the phone wire .

There are ways to get superglue to stick to "unglueable" plastics, though. Over here in the Netherlands (and I assume other parts of Europe), Pattex used to sell a tube of superglue packaged with what was basically a marking pen with a clear liquid in it: apply the liquid to both parts, wait half a minute or so, then put superglue on one side and press together. IIRC, the liquid microscopically etches the material so that the glue has something to grip.

The Pattex brand has now been mostly replace by Loctite in a rebranding exercise from the parent company, Henkel, but the superglue-with-marker seems to be gone. Luckily I still have a couple of the pens :)

Back