Star Wars Theme Group Build

I have a bottle of Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow but I want to do some test runs. I am not completely sold on it yet. @Pantherman 's white tile grout looks good too, I might have to throw that into the tests. I only had one experience with snow and the company doesnt seem to be around anymore. It was called Precision Ice and Snow by Kycell and it looked great, I think I may have spoiled myself.
I've not built a diorama since the '90s, but back then I used plaster of Paris through a confectioner's strainer. Very fine grain, very white (if you buy the craft type, not Home Depot) and not expensive at all.

On top of that you can "seal" it with a very fine mist of water, applied several times and allowed to just dry.

Managed to find a little time between shifts to start the process of building the A-Wing. Glad I didn't commit to the Falcon because I'd probably never get anywhere with it. o_O There's precious little in the way of reference photos I could find of the cockpit, so I broke out my books. The Rebel fighters workshop manual has a really great selection of high quality photos in it.

Have to get the pilot painted, but that'll likely be in a few days time. Until then I'll have to be happy with getting started.

PXL_20240902_195223707.jpg
PXL_20240902_221356526.jpg
PXL_20240902_215108443.jpg

Firstly: Excellent work on all the entries everyone. I love seeing them.

Onto business: All done. After doing some test pieces with snow, I decided that I either am not a fan of the products I chose or I am not good enough to not ruin the dio. I think it's more the latter than the former. I will continue improving on that, and will try the plaster advices given in the thread earlier. The woodland scenics looked too grainy for the scale. Anyhow, I am pretty happy with it. I haven't weathered anything in many years. I got a lil heavy handed with it but it was good practice.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0585_sm.png

IMG_0587_sm.png

IMG_0589_sm.png

IMG_0582_sm.png

Onto business: All done. After doing some test pieces with snow, I decided that I either am not a fan of the products I chose or I am not good enough to not ruin the dio. I think it's more the latter than the former. I will continue improving on that, and will try the plaster advices given in the thread earlier. The woodland scenics looked too grainy for the scale. Anyhow, I am pretty happy with it. I haven't weathered anything in many years. I got a lil heavy handed with it but it was good practice.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0585_sm.png

IMG_0587_sm.png

IMG_0589_sm.png

IMG_0582_sm.png
I honestly love that you're not doing a snow scene. They're iconic, but it's nice seeing something original for a change! Weathering looks perfect, IMHO. Great work!

Managed to find a little time between shifts to start the process of building the A-Wing. Glad I didn't commit to the Falcon because I'd probably never get anywhere with it. o_O There's precious little in the way of reference photos I could find of the cockpit, so I broke out my books. The Rebel fighters workshop manual has a really great selection of high quality photos in it.

Have to get the pilot painted, but that'll likely be in a few days time. Until then I'll have to be happy with getting started.

View attachment 123976
View attachment 123977
View attachment 123978
getting started is half the battle for me and it looks like your off to a great start

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0585_sm.png

IMG_0587_sm.png

IMG_0589_sm.png

IMG_0582_sm.png
Love the mud/dirt effects and weathering looks great

So I am calling this finished but technically I still need to do the glass-in version of the canopy. Just putting it off until I get enough motivation to do the tedious masking
So for now...
"beauty shot with background removed
PG Falcon no background.png
and the untouched source
IMG_6640.JPG
1725558839205.png
1725558889679.png
1725558943912.png
1725559573379.png
1725559627709.png
1725559012607.png
Remove background project (2).png

Last edited:
So I am calling this finished but technically I still need to do the glass-in version of the canopy. Just putting it off until I get enough motivation to do the tedious masking
So for now...
View attachment 124067
and the untouched source
View attachment 124060
View attachment 124061
View attachment 124062
View attachment 124063
View attachment 124065
View attachment 124066
View attachment 124064
View attachment 124076
Great build. Pantherman

So for now...
View attachment 124067
and the untouched source
View attachment 124060
View attachment 124061
View attachment 124062
View attachment 124063
View attachment 124065
View attachment 124066
View attachment 124064
View attachment 124076
Excellent job. I've been staring at my fine molds every time I go downstairs to do laundry. This is great inspiration.

So for now...
View attachment 124067
and the untouched source
View attachment 124060
View attachment 124061
View attachment 124062
View attachment 124063
View attachment 124065
View attachment 124066
View attachment 124064
View attachment 124076
It looks great. After see yours I'm not sure if I'll put the canopy in mine when I finally get around to it. But great job on the build.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0585_sm.png

IMG_0587_sm.png

IMG_0589_sm.png

IMG_0582_sm.png
Thought I would drop these two links if you decide to move forward with snow at some point. The All Game Terrain Snow I believe is the same as woodland scenics just in a smaller as it is marketed more towards tabletop gaming market. The second is a video from Woodland on the process for doing snow and ice with their products. I'm sure you've looked at similar stuff but just in case you haven't or it may help someone else.

https://galacticunderworld.com/product/agt-snow-base-layer/

Woodland Scenics Snow & ice application

Thought I would drop these two links if you decide to move forward with snow at some point. The All Game Terrain Snow I believe is the same as woodland scenics just in a smaller as it is marketed more towards tabletop gaming market. The second is a video from Woodland on the process for doing snow and ice with their products. I'm sure you've looked at similar stuff but just in case you haven't or it may help someone else.

https://galacticunderworld.com/product/agt-snow-base-layer/

Woodland Scenics Snow & ice application
Thanks. I will definitely check those out. I will do snow again, I just didn't want to ruin this one since its been years since I built anything.

Latest posts

Back