Star Wars Theme Group Build

Hi all! New here. Been building my Bandai Star Wars models. Getting ready to get into adding custom LED lighting. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use side glow fiber optics for the millennium falcon engine lights? Can't say I've ever seen a tutorial on it. Seems very doable. I suspect the brightness level might be a possible concern. Anyone ever try something similar?

Hi all! New here. Been building my Bandai Star Wars models. Getting ready to get into adding custom LED lighting. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use side glow fiber optics for the millennium falcon engine lights? Can't say I've ever seen a tutorial on it. Seems very doable. I suspect the brightness level might be a possible concern. Anyone ever try something similar?
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sure one of our knowledgeable members will have some great advice for you. Pantherman

Finally going to post more pix. Not completely happy but I got lots of notes for the next one. Trying to get the right colors is not easy. All paint but the one model master wash I made is Tamiya and a portion of them were custom mixed. Was a great experience and tried techniques I haven't in the past. The next one I do I will try salt masking instead of liquid mask to see how that turns out. The build itself was pretty simple, trying to match the studio scale was the challenge. At some point I will hang this in my grandsons room and hope it peaks his interest as he gets older. Slave I (31).jpgSlave I (30).jpgSlave I (29).jpgSlave I (28).jpgSlave I (27).jpgSlave I (26).jpgSlave I (25).jpg

Finally going to post more pix. Not completely happy but I got lots of notes for the next one. Trying to get the right colors is not easy. All paint but the one model master wash I made is Tamiya and a portion of them were custom mixed. Was a great experience and tried techniques I haven't in the past. The next one I do I will try salt masking instead of liquid mask to see how that turns out. The build itself was pretty simple, trying to match the studio scale was the challenge. At some point I will hang this in my grandsons room and hope it peaks his interest as he gets older. View attachment 122852View attachment 122853View attachment 122854View attachment 122855View attachment 122856View attachment 122857View attachment 122858
Great build, love the colours and finish. Pantherman

Finally going to post more pix. Not completely happy but I got lots of notes for the next one. Trying to get the right colors is not easy. All paint but the one model master wash I made is Tamiya and a portion of them were custom mixed. Was a great experience and tried techniques I haven't in the past. The next one I do I will try salt masking instead of liquid mask to see how that turns out. The build itself was pretty simple, trying to match the studio scale was the challenge. At some point I will hang this in my grandsons room and hope it peaks his interest as he gets older. View attachment 122852View attachment 122853View attachment 122854View attachment 122855View attachment 122856View attachment 122857View attachment 122858
Great work!

Note to self: If you're going to weather with oils and mineral spirits on Bandai plastic... make sure you get good primer or clear coverage on the previous layers because they are NOT friends. Had some feet pads fall off because it got brittle. Nothing I can't overcome, but I wish I knew that ahead of time.

Note to self: If you're going to weather with oils and mineral spirits on Bandai plastic... make sure you get good primer or clear coverage on the previous layers because they are NOT friends. Had some feet pads fall off because it got brittle. Nothing I can't overcome, but I wish I knew that ahead of time.
Been there. So annoying.

I have used Weber odorless turpenoid to thin oils without issue, even on bare Bandai plastic.

Maybe it is not as harsh as some others, or maybe it evaporates quicker.

never tried any other brand so I can't speak to those as far as how they react

I know the worst offender for destroying the plastic is Tamiya panel line wash

But yes, in general it is a good idea to prevent stuff seeping into joints and sitting too long

Some of it also depends on how stress fit the part is. i.e. if there are tons of micro cracks due to snap fit, that could allow the stuff to weaken the joint.

Even though they are snap kits, I actually still use glue on critical joints or things that might be likely to fall off

I've attached the canopy. As you can see, there are gaps. I really wish this part was resin instead of having to cut away a bunch of excess vinyl. Now I need to somehow putty this in.
View attachment 123084

Maybe you could use the canopy from a Bandai kit?

Bandai actually gave a glass in version that was in three parts (so you display open if you wanted) in addition to an opaque one piece canopy.

I have some extra unused glass versions if you are interested

Maybe you could use the canopy from a Bandai kit?

Bandai actually gave a glass in version that was in three parts (so you display open if you wanted) in addition to an opaque one piece canopy.

I have some extra unused glass versions if you are interested
Thanks for the offer. I've no idea if the proportions are the same. I'm gonna use Vallejo acrylic putty and see how it goes. I love that stuff since it doesn't disturb the paint job. It can be easily wiped away with water. I can hand-paint the Mr. Color gray paint that very closely matches the V-Color Light Gray paint. Then I can just pretend there's damage or something.

Thanks for the offer. I've no idea if the proportions are the same. I'm gonna use Vallejo acrylic putty and see how it goes. I love that stuff since it doesn't disturb the paint job. It can be easily wiped away with water. I can hand-paint the Mr. Color gray paint that very closely matches the V-Color Light Gray paint. Then I can just pretend there's damage or something.
I've attached the canopy. As you can see, there are gaps. I really wish this part was resin instead of having to cut away a bunch of excess vinyl. Now I need to somehow putty this in.

View attachment 123084
Have you tried Greenstrawberry or Paragraphix for a photo etch with canopy? (I'm not sure who distributed your kit).
Paint job is A+ by the way.

Latest posts

Back