Tamiya 1/48 F-4B (#121)

I think I'll dip my brush in some of the darker paint, that Tamiya said to use, and touch up the lighter grey areas that Eduard says are correct. The rear seat dude (REO?) will have to live with the mismatch. I doubt much of this will be visible when finished anyway.

OK Einstein, which of these is the "correct" gray?

View attachment 121971
This photo indicates Eduard's PE is closer to correct.

View attachment 121972
This one suggests Tamiya's code (XF-19) is more accurate.

It varies so it doesn't matter which you do. Does it even matter since nobody is gonna see it once it's closed up. I get it the mentality in some folks is "because I know it's there and I painted it as accurately/correct as the real thing.

I know Quinta has fantastic instrument panels so that's an option if money isn't an issue.

Most of my modern jets instrument panels are painted NATO Black. Same for some of my WW2 era aircraft kits. I could care less because I'm not gonna see it once the canopy is closed up.

Having seen photos of both grays, plus a few others, I've decided to take the path of least resistance.

I touched up the bits of light gray seen on the Eduard PE to match the Tamiya color. Was able to get most of it, but did not even try the front panel with the small round gauges on it. This will suffice for me.

1723830868420.png

1723830921825.png
Two "before" shots.

1723831032692.png
I closed the fuselage before taking an "after" shot. But you can see the darker color.

1723831185898.png
Pre painting some bits before assembly.

Having seen photos of both grays, plus a few others, I've decided to take the path of least resistance.

I touched up the bits of light gray seen on the Eduard PE to match the Tamiya color. Was able to get most of it, but did not even try the front panel with the small round gauges on it. This will suffice for me.

View attachment 122711

View attachment 122712
Two "before" shots.

View attachment 122713
I closed the fuselage before taking an "after" shot. But you can see the darker color.

View attachment 122714
Pre painting some bits before assembly.
Looks great! What maker is that? Is it Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc?

Ready for some shots of dark metallic gray, to be adjacent to the medium metallic gray.

View attachment 123315
Groovy!
On mine I use the Tamiya Weathering gunmetal for the darker shade on the stabilizers. I have some touch-up to do.
Your Phantom is waaay gooder than mine.
Yours is looking so awesome!
She may be over 60 now. But the old girl looks really nice in her little black (1500 surfacer) dress!

View attachment 123114

View attachment 123115

Gear-bay doors held in with white glue, as is the lower half of the tail. I'm taking some liberties from doing exactly as the destructions say.
Very sleek

Thanks for the kind words Gary! When I see your camo-paint job I'm regretting my choice for a boring Navy plane, you know, a grey on grey with light gray paint job :cool:

1724796428493.png
Pile on top needs to be finished with priming (what I do have primed was from pre-assembly of the body) then painted white. The bottom pile is for black, after priming in black I think I'll do an almost black for the color coat. Like white, pure black is REALLY dark, a dark grey will show as black but preserve some detail.

1724796610951.png
I've masked the inner sides (to protect from overspray) with a 3M painter's tape I like. It is very low tack, so not a good choice when you want a crisp line, but here were residue is a prime concern, perfect. These "masks" are not pre-cut, I think I mentioned it already, but far cheaper kits have CUT masks. I'm debating if this is better than me with tape, and I'm thinking yes it is. I'll dive into this soon. Think I'll do mask cutting while I wait for the black and white paint cure on all those small parts, I learned the hard way that it only "looks like" Tamiya XF paint dries in seconds, I think it takes longer to fully cure or harden.

Your Phantom is waaay gooder than mine.
C'mon Gary, the proper term is "gooderer", get it straight bro!

As far as comparing builds overall a pointless exercise, but if I can get the blue and yellow patina on my nozzles that you got, I'll be a happy camper.

Latest posts

Back