TAMIYA KTM250MX: Hi, I'm new here.

MDHaughton

Hello, everyone. I haven't done any scale modeling since 1989. I'm a pen and ink artist primarily. After searching for some good reference photos, I came to the conclusion that my best bet is to build my own reference. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions I'll want to ask as I go, but I'll try to read the forum as much as I can before I do so.

I can't believe I've allowed my drafting table to be taken over by a different hobby. Lol

20240708_215256.jpg

20240708_215326.jpg

20240708_215403.jpg

20240708_215513.jpg

Hello, everyone. I haven't done any scale modeling since 1989. I'm a pen and ink artist primarily. After searching for some good reference photos, I came to the conclusion that my best bet is to build my own reference. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions I'll want to ask as I go, but I'll try to read the forum as much as I can before I do so.

I can't believe I've allowed my drafting table to be taken over by a different hobby. Lol

View attachment 119547

View attachment 119548

View attachment 119549

View attachment 119550
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

View attachment 119547

View attachment 119548

View attachment 119549

View attachment 119550
Welcome from another "Newbie".

Welcome to the Herd, MD! No worries about posting photos of your build here. If that's the worst thing anyone has to worry about, then his life is pretty good.
I look forward to following that build and seeing your finished model!
Best regards,
Brad

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

I don't have any metallic gold paint. So I used some Tamiya XF-16 aluminum, and mixed up a gold wash on top. Seems to be decent. I'm probably getting a bit too granular on the chain, but what the hell. You only live once.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to wash all the metallic flakes out of my brush from this Tamiya Aluminum paint? Water, Acetone, Rubbing Alcohol and Mineral Spirits don't seem to cut it.

I'm also wondering, should I clear coat some of these sub-assemblies before putting it together? For instance, should I clear coat the motor before I put it in the frame? Seems like it might be hard to get good coverage if it were all assembled.

20240710_182640.jpg

20240710_182656.jpg

Last edited:
I use Tamiya 20A thinner for Tamiya acrylic paint. After cleaning with their thinner, I then wash the brush in soap and water and have never had metal flake stay in the brush. I have built 4 Tamiya motorcycle kits and have not clear coated anything until after final assembly. Not sure why you would want to clear coat the engine before attaching to the frame.

Latest posts

Back