Tamiya P-38J "Marge" (#123)

Edbert

Moving many items from the stash to in-progress...

1723504942262.png

Last edited:
C'mon man! Oh yeah, you're the armor dude.

I thought the yoke coming in from the right side would be the tipper.

Tamyia P-38? That would be my guess.
Nailed it!

Several people are saying it is the greatest kit ever, I'm not experienced enough to validate that it is the best. I'm "in-progress" on multiple right now.

I thought the 1/32 Corsair from Tamiya was amazing, barely underway on another candidate is the 1/48 F-4B. But I see on YouTube and elsewhere that the 1/48 Lightnings are the current crown-wearer.

Last edited:
Nailed it!

I'm not experienced enough to validate that it is the best. I'm "in-progress" on multiple right now.

I thought the 1/32 Corsair from Tamiya was amazing, barely underway on another candidate is the 1/48 F-4B. But I see on YouTube and elsewhere that the 1/48 Lightnings are the current crown-wearer.
I am interested to see how the kit goes together for you, I have not gotten around to getting one yet, though I want too. There always seems to be something else that comes up.

I am interested to see how the kit goes together for you, I have not gotten around to getting one yet, though I want too. There always seems to be something else that comes up.
I've read numerous topics on the Tamiya P-38 Lightning kit. None of them mentioned it had fit issues. One of THE a best P-38 Lightning kit out there.

I'm to the point where I'm using a magnifier almost exclusively. Otherwise I would have all kinds of mistakes and alignment issues.

I'm to the point where I'm using a magnifier almost exclusively. Otherwise I would have all kinds of mistakes and alignment issues.
Since you said that, I've been using them much more. It could be an incorrect impression, but since using them for a week or so, it seems my readers are worse than before.

Anyway, this kit pretty much falls together. The biggest problem I have had so far was finding sprue D (I think), I could not find it since it was a sort of addendum to Sprue J or something...LOL.

1724533607305.png

A super way of putting a weight into the nose, kit ships with three heavyish (not lead) ball bearings that fits into a molded round spot with no wobble. Nice feature for nose-wheeled planes.

1724533734283.png
The kit ships with a sheet of masks, but unlike the Eduard 1/48 kit that I am about finished with, they are printed, not cut. I think that will be fine for canopy, but not for those lights! Way too small for me to cut a circle that small out of tape. I gave up quick and used liquid mask.

Last edited:
I was really disappointed to see the huge gaps between the wheel wells and the outer skin in this shot.

1725399809002.png

Then I remembered how well everything was fitting so I ignored it and pressed on. Of course when the time came to install the bay covers, the fit was so tight I considered not using glue. This kit is really amazing! But a great deal more "stuff" has been put in there since this shot, I'm worried about painting details inside there now.

I found a flaw!

While applying masks I discovered a small bubble, more like a blob, on the rear canopy. It could be seen of course, but also felt with a fingernail. I failed to get a picture of it before filing it off with a sharp blade as seen here. That blurry spot at high 5:00 from the pilot's view.

1725472991945.png

Took only a few minutes of polishing to remove the scratches.

1725473037608.png

Then I decided while I had my compound out I'd remove the ridge/line on top of the Phantom's glass as well.

1725473097415.png
Before ^^^

1725473117147.png
During ^^^

1725473135241.png
After ^^^

Latest posts

Back