Tamiya weathering kit

I haven't used Tamiya's product, nor any other such product from other makers. I use pastel chalks, and grind and mix them as I go. I bought a set of earth colors, a dozen sticks ranging from dark brown to a yellow ochre, with a stick of black included. It was ten bucks at a local art supply store (long since closed, but Richard Blick opened a store here a couple years later).

I'll clarify that it's not that I look down on such products, nor on modelers who use them. It's that I learned to make my own, because I came up in the days before such products were ready-made and for sale on a hobby shop's shelves.

And to follow on that, I recognize an advantage to such products, particularly for new modelers-they eliminate the time needed to learn the technique by trial-and-error, and for even experienced modelers, they practically guarantee consistent results.

"Weather" (pun intended) you buy the Tamiya set or something else, it'll probably last you a long, long time. It doesn't take large quantities to achieve the effects. Really just a paintbrush-load, a very small pinch.

Anyone use this stuff?

TAMIYA Weathering Master 6-Sets(A,B,C,D,E,F) [Japan Import] Model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M66FM8..._r_mwn_dp_SH71NZTFJGX9M3D70K56&language=en-US

I dont think i would use alot of it, probably last me forever. But i can see if i have a need, then the effect i want is already ready. I wonder what the shelf life is.
Yes I have and can do a wonderful job in weathering particularly for producing areas of exhaust stains, grime, rust stains and also is good at making tires look dirty. The product is essentially a pastel mixed in a oil like base. I have found it has to be used in the final step as clear varnishes seem to wash the product and your hard work away. I found it helpful to buy new applicator pads and brushes which are cheap, thereby not contaminating one color with other colors.
The kit will last you a very long time.
Hope that helps
Doc Sudy

I will get it, i think for all 6 packs its worth it, no telling where my skill level will go.

Im sure the makeup MFG's are loving the scale model hobbyists out there.

Latest posts

Back