Tamiya's P47 Thunderbolt on the bench

docsudy

Good evening fellow SMAs:
I am posting some images of the cockpit and radial engine of my Tamiya's P47 thunderbolt, 1/48 scale currently on the bench. I wired the engine to make it a little bit more real looking with 24 gauge wire. Was only able to fit one distributor wire per block. I weathered both the cockpit and the radial engine with black and dark brown panel line washes and dry brushing with flat aluminum.
Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Doc Sudy1000000502.jpg1000000501.jpg1000000498.jpg1000000500.jpg1000000493.jpg1000000494.jpg1000000496.jpg1000000495.jpg

Good evening fellow SMAs:
I am posting some images of the cockpit and radial engine of my Tamiya's P47 thunderbolt, 1/48 scale currently on the bench. I wired the engine to make it a little bit more real looking with 24 gauge wire. Was only able to fit one distributor wire per block. I weathered both the cockpit and the radial engine with black and dark brown panel line washes and dry brushing with flat aluminum.
Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Doc SudyView attachment 125342View attachment 125343View attachment 125344View attachment 125345View attachment 125346View attachment 125347View attachment 125348View attachment 125349
Nice work on the cockpit. Love the detail..

The cockpit was easy , the engine was a b......
I totally agree when talking about radials, in some cases they are fairly hidden, but in most they are out there front and center. I think yours looks fantastic, a testament to patience I'd assume.

Is this a razorback or bubble-top?

Hello Edbert
Thanks for noticing! This is the Razorback version of Tamiya's. Funny thing I originally bought a quickboost resin engine for the build , thinking it would be so much better. When it came I realized it required the firewall to be cut off from the engine which would be nearly impossible to do at least with my set of tools. So when I looked at the Tamiya's version I realized it wasn't too bad. So I stuck with the original and wired it the best I could do and weathered it. I used a pin vise drill to make the holes, 24 gauge wire ( which was not very malleable making it not easy to bend) but in the end it was the best I could do.
I am finishing the fuselage and wings currently and will have it primed soon. I was thinking about the early Razorback version with olive drab top (dorsal) and lighter grey lower ( ventral surface). Haven't decided if I want to go with a red cowling or white. Any thoughts on weathering in order to make the olive drab look old, faded and dirty. I was thinking about using an oil dot filter technique I have seen on some terriffic modelers you tube videos. As I am a bit new to this game I have yet to try this technique but I thought it could work here.
Any thoughts????Thanks again
Doc Sudy

It is your kit so make your own choices. For myself I love camo, paint over bare metal, but I am working on a P-38J right now that will be silver. So sometimes subject matter dictates the path. Which fighter are you depicting, what were the operational dates and were they painted or bare? Personally I'm not particular with historical accuracy, paint it the way you want, just like your car. But a lot of people take the subject matters very seriously, which is also cool. But do whatever you want with YOUR kit.

Metallic topcoats can be hard to get shiny, but if you're going for a weathered look, months of exposure to sun and rain, it is easier. To answer the question of the anti-glare parts, I intend to coat the silver body is a gloss-coat and the olive-drab portions in a matte.

I think you should go first, I'll wait and see how you get on :)

I completed a version of the P38 by Tamiya. I also did a full aluminum non painted version flown by Richard Bong - Marge. I did my best to weather it in a realistic fashion. Tell me what u think.It may give you some ideas.1000000150.jpg1000000155.jpg1000000160.jpg1000000162.jpg

1000000151.jpg

1000000107.jpg

Same kit, same scheme.

I built models a lot back in the day, but in 2024 I'm a total newb trying to learn new paints (not Testors) and glues (not Testors), but at least I have the benefit of EXCELLENT kits like "Marge" there.

1727658639744.png

1727661134699.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back