What do you do with old awards and trophies?

scalebuilderchad

Ohbejuan started a thread to discuss what to do with old models. I thought of a tangent discussion.

I'm not here to toot my own horn, or brag about anything. Please don't take this thread that way. I have been competing in model shows for 5 years now and I have earned a fair share of awards and trophies. And I am wondering what I should do with them. Many of the awards are 8x10 inch plaques. Some are gold, silver, or broze medals. And I have some rather large trophies.

My wife won't let me display them in main living spaces. They need to stay in my hobby room. But my hobby room is a 9x10 foot bedroom. And in that bedroom I have my workbench. Cabinets for raw materials, paints, and tools. A display case for finished models. And I have some photography on what free wall space I have left because I was a professional automotive photographer in my earlier years while I was in college.

What I am getting at is I don't have much space. I mean I could add a shelf higher up on the wall and reposition some photos. And the plaques could be hung on the wall. But where do I go from there? Do I just store them downstairs and not display them?

What do you do?

Ohbejuan started a thread to discuss what to do with old models. I thought of a tangent discussion.

I'm not here to toot my own horn, or brag about anything. Please don't take this thread that way. I have been competing in model shows for 5 years now and I have earned a fair share of awards and trophies. And I am wondering what I should do with them. Many of the awards are 8x10 inch plaques. Some are gold, silver, or broze medals. And I have some rather large trophies.

My wife won't let me display them in main living spaces. They need to stay in my hobby room. But my hobby room is a 9x10 foot bedroom. And in that bedroom I have my workbench. Cabinets for raw materials, paints, and tools. A display case for finished models. And I have some photography on what free wall space I have left because I was a professional automotive photographer in my earlier years while I was in college.

What I am getting at is I don't have much space. I mean I could add a shelf higher up on the wall and reposition some photos. And the plaques could be hung on the wall. But where do I go from there? Do I just store them downstairs and not display them?

What do you do?
I normally wish I had some. Pantherman

I don't think it's an issue separate from the question of where to display your models. It's just part of the requirement for the solution. That is, I would display an award with the specific model that won it. If you wind up with a cabinet or display case, for example, then put the award on the shelf next to the model. If the display space is a wall shelf, and the award is a plaque, hang it on the wall behind the model on the shelf. And so on.

I don't think it's an issue separate from the question of where to display your models. It's just part of the requirement for the solution. That is, I would display an award with the specific model that won it. If you wind up with a cabinet or display case, for example, then put the award on the shelf next to the model. If the display space is a wall shelf, and the award is a plaque, hang it on the wall behind the model on the shelf. And so on.
I want to do that. And I do that with the plaques and medals, but the trophies are too big. There is only about 8" between the shelves in my case.

I supposed I could continue to put the plaques and medals in the case and then mount a shelf on the wall near the case for the trophies.

Some of my 'less appealing' completed models are now stored in those clear boxes used for storing clothes and in the attic. The trophies/medals are in the display cabinet with my later models. The certificates have been put into a ring bind folder with clear pockets to hold each one.
The two oldest certificates are on the wall above my desk/pc are to remind me that I am not always the best at what I do in this hobby, even though they say I was the best and Scottish Champion - and they are next to the five holes I drilled when attempting to put up a new shelf/display cabinet - they are there to remind me to check for where the wood actually is and not where I think it was...
So display your glory, but be selective in what you display.

I do not have any modelling trophies, but I gave three large boxes of old RC-Racing trophies to a local store that made...trophies :)

I kept a small group of prestigious ones, like any top-3 at a State or Regional event. But box full of 1st places at the local track every Friday night was just not worth keeping.

There's a local IPMS show on November 9th, I'll be attending but not entering anything.

Latest posts

Back