What scale modeling magazines that you read?

I haven't read any magazines on modelling. Alot of them seem to be aimed at military, which doesn't really interest me. Though I know the techniques described would be useful to learn, I think I'm happy right now still learning the basics.

So maybe in the future, but not for now. :)

I like very much a french magazine named "Steel Masters", it is very didactic to me, really. I have a nice lot of issues of it.

Well I´ve a small trouble... I don´t speak french, athough I´m able more or less to understand what are they talking about in the SBS, painting guides, and so...

I have also a pretty mix of modelling magazines from here and there (USA, Spain, Japan...), but as I´m "focused" in ground subjects, I prefer Steel Masters...

But currently I´ve stopped buying magazines (both paper and electronic editions)... and besides the money (magazines are cheap, take a lok at some PDF editions), in my case it is mainly because I feel that places like this (SMA)... with model reviews, techniques, SBSs, the contests, the chatting, the forums, "the community", etc... provides me a lot more ...

Cheers
RG

RG

Well I only subscribe Amazing Figure Modeler. Some time ago I had subscription of Kitbuilders mag but I got screwed on it as they went out of business and I didn't received any refund on that :(

I occasionally read Fine Scale modeler and Tamiya Model Magazine. But the main problem is that when they are available over hear then the price is 2-3 times hire then it should be.

Scott do you get Super model in English?
I know this mag but unfortunately it has a very low standard at least in my opinion.

The one I got was in English....you might be thinking of another magazine as the one I got was from Kagero Publishing, and was issue #1...just came out.

KG98001.jpg

Thought it was very good

Yeah, was the first issue, and came with some cool plywood decals for your WWI Bi Plane types, but of course could be used for anything that you wanted a nice wood pattern on.

Wood-vi.jpg

Nice little bonus with the magazine....don't know if they plan on adding something like this in each one, or how often they are going to produce the magazine....but it's a cool little bonus that I don't know as if anyone else is doing.

schweinhund227 said:
"None" ! Does that Count ?

I used to buy FSM and but with the Internet.... I keep my money for Tools and Kits ! :)

This. I don't enjoy paying to read ads which is what more than half of magazines seem to have in them anymore.

I let my subscription to FSM run out as, like was mentioned earlier, there just wasn't anymore pop in the articles. Plus the whole idea that with your paid subscription you get "content" on their website like "How to" videos. The idea that you get to watch the videos when you purchase your subscription is cheesy in MHO. I felt I didn't need the mag anymore and YouTube provides me with an inexhaustible amount of content and reference. You can still join their forum for free, and the people there are great, but this, SMA, has more of an inviting feel. I'm not knocking FSM, just grew out of it I guess.
As far as the other mags out there I haven't seen too many. Though ECHobbies you have me curious to some of those titles you mentioned. Specifically Airfix Model World and Scale Aircraft Modeler. Worth checking out?

I'll occasionally flip through FSM or Figure Scale Modeler, but the magazine I read the most is called the Internet.

Glorfindel said:
I let my subscription to FSM run out as, like was mentioned earlier, there just wasn't anymore pop in the articles. Plus the whole idea that with your paid subscription you get "content" on their website like "How to" videos. The idea that you get to watch the videos when you purchase your subscription is cheesy in MHO. I felt I didn't need the mag anymore and YouTube provides me with an inexhaustible amount of content and reference. You can still join their forum for free, and the people there are great, but this, SMA, has more of an inviting feel. I'm not knocking FSM, just grew out of it I guess.
As far as the other mags out there I haven't seen too many. Though ECHobbies you have me curious to some of those titles you mentioned. Specifically Airfix Model World and Scale Aircraft Modeler. Worth checking out?

Yeah, for myself, FSM has to have more than one article that would be relevant to me in order for me to buy it, even though I make it easy for myself by selling them in the shop! LOL

Scale Aircraft Modeller, I am not crazy about, I will get it if it has a couple of articles that is relevant, but otherwise I don't bother. I don't know what it is, it is the magazine that started it all for SAM publications, however I find that it isn't as "polished" as their Scale Armor Modeler....maybe it is just me and the tread head coming out in me, but I don't find that their aircraft mag. is as good.

Airfix Model World however, is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Very well rounded (meaning all genres, not just aircraft) and more than just Airfix kits being built in it. And to me it seems like it isn't the same 3-4 professional authors/model makers doing the articles every month (unlike FSM). To me it feels like the type of magazine that with a little effort, I could have an article in their magazine. Worth checking out for an issue or 2.

I currently have a subscription to FSM, but i dont plan on keeping it. It seems like they revisit the same ideas over and over, and they never feature any sci-fi modeling. I do enjoy the kit reviews and sometimes the build up articles are ok, but for the most part I could take or leave it..

I do not have a subscription as I like to buy from my local Hobby Shops. I enjoy MMIR, especially their irreverent humor and non corporate approach to the content. Humor in this hobby is important I think. I also pick up Military Modelling if there are subjects {Armor} that intrest's me. Wish there was a mag devoted strictly to Sci-Fi model kits. I like having a paper magazine even if some of the "what's new" has been on line before I get the mag.

i usually get the tamiya model magazine and tamiya military magazine as well as the afv magazine but there needs to be more than one article in them that interests me as these magazines are getting expensive now, between £4-6 a pop.

schweinhund227 said:
"None" ! Does that Count ?

I used to buy FSM and but with the Internet.... I keep my money for Tools and Kits ! :)

I'm with Norm on this one.

You guys are my magazines! ;D

Only what I read for free at the local newsagent, until they kick me out. ;)

Latest posts

Back