Andy's Tamiya 1/35 M1A2 Operation Iraqi Freedom

I am building the first kit out of three a friend gave me when he decided he wasn't modelling anymore; the other 2 kits are, respectively, a Tamiya 1/48 F16C Aggressor and a ICM 1/32 C 42.
Now that he passed away (he was 91), I'm going to build his kits as a memorial.
I began with the easiest one, the 1/35 Abrams M1A2 Op Iraqi Freedom by Tamiya. Absolutely an OOB build, rubber band tracks included.
Paint is going to be mainly AK Real Sand (FS 30277). Other small parts, including transparencies, were painted with Tamiya acrylics while the tracks were dabbed with a mixture of old Humbrol enamels (mainly gun metal, rust and brown) and A-MIG 0191 Steel for the polished parts.
Like most of Tamiya products, there's nothing that went wrong up to now, so I'll just publish some pics to illustrate the progresses and show where I'm now after a week from the beginning.

First the sprue shots
IMG_1712.JPGIMG_1713.JPGIMG_1714.JPG
then the first sub assemblies
IMG_1716.JPG

including my "Three men and a half" (to say nothing of the dog)... :rolleyes::p
IMG_1717.JPG

Turret taking shape
IMG_1722.JPG

... and finally it begins to look like an Abrams with some initial weathering of the lower hull before gluing the huge side skirts (panel liner still wet on the sprocket wheel, rubber parts will require some touch up).IMG_1744.JPGIMG_1740.JPG

Comments, suggestions and abuse, when directly referred to the model(er) are all welcome.:D

Andrea

IMG_1733.JPG

Latest posts

Back