Do you paint the inside of a model

durangod

Hi, i usually paint the whole inside of a model black if i am unsure if it can be seen from outside, as in my pirate ship. Or just the part that im sure can be seen, as with this plane behind cockpit and around turrets. I will use flat black or just black primer.

I'm selective with what I paint on the inside. Other than photos I post on here to show builds, they end up on my shelf and no one else but the wife ever sees them. If I can't see it then I don't paint it. Everyone pretty much does their own thing. No written rules to follow.

If you can't see the inside, why waste paint and time painting it. I almost never paint the insides of bomber fuselage interior/gunner areas. I'll still paint the cockpit and open bomb bay areas.

There's no set rule that you have to paint it. It's a matter of preference.

I paint the viewable areas on Airplanes and will usually do the insides of Automotive vehicles in case this is viewable from different angles or in different lighting conditions. If no specific colors are required, I use a semi-flat black.

Ah don't sweat it. Nobody is gonna notice it. Well… except you. Not sure why it matters to you. Relax. Don't overthink too much.
Its mainly because i am still comparing myself now to the detail oriented me of the past. I used to never miss details like that, now i dont even notice them till later. I am trying to adjust my self expectations as much as i can to how my brain works now. Ill get through it, just takes time.

I used to be able to picture a whole computer program in my head and the code just flowed like a river. Now i have to constantly check the manual and i cant remember what i was working on from one day to the next.

Its just gonna take time till i settle into the new me :)

Thanks for understanding :)

Its mainly because i am still comparing myself now to the detail oriented me of the past. I used to never miss details like that, now i dont even notice them till later. I am trying to adjust my self expectations as much as i can to how my brain works now. Ill get through it, just takes time.

I used to be able to picture a whole computer program in my head and the code just flowed like a river. Now i have to constantly check the manual and i cant remember what i was working on from one day to the next.

Its just gonna take time till i settle into the new me :)

Thanks for understanding :)
There really is no right and wrong, if your happy with what you build then it's right. You can always get the same kit later and improve what you think you missed. The main thing is you got to have fun with it. Pantherman

I paint interiors, and often if they can't be seen. When I was a kid and then a teenager, building Monogram's large airplane models, the issue came up. Mostly for me, it's a case of "I know it's there". It was also part of learning about things like aircraft interiors and similar details. Today, I might not always do it, but more often than not, I do.

Anything you can catch a glimpse of from a window or other opening once buttoned up is painted

Now the level of detail I paint it to varies. If it is something that can't really been seen properly I am not going to go crazy detail painting it, but will at least get the basic color laid down

for example, I was building the 1/72 Airfix B-25 and 1/72 Academy B-17 and both have interior stuff, most of which can barely be seen, and even then would require interior lighting to be seen well. I will at the very least spray it all with the interior color even if I do not bother detail painting all the various controls etc..

On the other hand, if I am closing up the gear doors or bomb bay doors and there is no window or open door I do not bother painting that area and in some cases, unless parts are needed there for structural integrity I won't even bother gluing in the parts and will save them for the greeblie bin

Anything you can catch a glimpse of from a window or other opening once buttoned up is painted

Now the level of detail I paint it to varies. If it is something that can't really been seen properly I am not going to go crazy detail painting it, but will at least get the basic color laid down

for example, I was building the 1/72 Airfix B-25 and 1/72 Academy B-17 and both have interior stuff, most of which can barely be seen, and even then would require interior lighting to be seen well. I will at the very least spray it all with the interior color even if I do not bother detail painting all the various controls etc..

On the other hand, if I am closing up the gear doors or bomb bay doors and there is no window or open door I do not bother painting that area and in some cases, unless parts are needed there for structural integrity I won't even bother gluing in the parts and will save them for the greeblie bin
Exactly my point.

Latest posts

Back