For you A-10 fans...

One thing that surprised me is that the pilot told me that the plane had triple redundancy on the controls. Two hydraulic systems and then it had a CABLE system if the hydraulics failed. I wouldn't want to fly this bird with a cable system.

Yeah, between the triple redundancy controls, the engines splayed apart, the armor around vital systems, and a big a$$ gun up front....the A-10 is one tough bird

Grendels said:
One thing that surprised me is that the pilot told me that the plane had triple redundancy on the controls. Two hydraulic systems and then it had a CABLE system if the hydraulics failed. I wouldn't want to fly this bird with a cable system.
One of the benefits of working the evening shift is that I get to stay up most of the night when I get home from work so I get to spend a lot of time watching History and Military Channels.
I've seen on several shows where they talk about the Warthog how these redundant systems (including the old fashioned cable systems) saved the day for several pilots during the the Gulf Wars when their aircraft sustained heavy (and I do mean heavy....swiss cheese type heavy) damage. 90% of the time, the pilots never knew they were hit because the aircraft behave as if nothing happened. But then when they landed, they had to face their Crew Chiefs! :eek:

Latest posts

Back