Guiness Beer

Have yet to drink a BEER that I did not like...... When someone else was buying!

Now if I have to pay, I lean towered IPA's (India Pale Ale). Add a shot of Tequila and I am a happy camper!

Don't know how I missed out on this thread earlier.

Beer is a hobby that my wife and I share, we brew our own - I'm partial to reds, and honey browns, but right now these are my two favorite beers (I only buy them as a special treat). Can't get the Canadian Cask around here anymore, so I settle for the red.

brewdog_tokyo.jpg

and

20100516_0350.jpg

spud said:
Lol you wouldn't say that if you tasted a pint brewed here, the stuff brewed abroad is never the same.

Very true! Fresh is always better than bottled, and cans, well, when necessary, but then, I'd just as soon drink water.

I've never had a bad Guinness, but then again, stout is a very forgiving style of beer, which makes it a great beer to cut your teeth on if you take up homebrewing.

But my preference is for beers brewed in the Athen an der Isar and elsewhere in Bayern, I like Munich lagers and a good Hefeweizen. I like a maltier, sweeter beer, mildly hopped, unless it's a Pilsner, which should be hoppy. I keep a case of Franziskaner on hand, and Salvator for the winter, and especially for Lent.

"Bayern, des samma mir/Bayern und des bairische Bier!
Bayern und des Reinheitsgebot/dies iss unser flüssiges Brot!"

the Baron said:
spud said:
Lol you wouldn't say that if you tasted a pint brewed here, the stuff brewed abroad is never the same.

Very true! Fresh is always better than bottled, and cans, well, when necessary, but then, I'd just as soon drink water.

I've never had a bad Guinness, but then again, stout is a very forgiving style of beer, which makes it a great beer to cut your teeth on if you take up homebrewing.

But my preference is for beers brewed in the Athen an der Isar and elsewhere in Bayern, I like Munich lagers and a good Hefeweizen. I like a maltier, sweeter beer, mildly hopped, unless it's a Pilsner, which should be hoppy. I keep a case of Franziskaner on hand, and Salvator for the winter, and especially for Lent.

"Bayern, des samma mir/Bayern und des bairische Bier!
Bayern und des Reinheitsgebot/dies iss unser flüssiges Brot!"

;D Man, you´re what I call a Beer-Experten... Thumbs Up! ;)

Yes, Innes & Gunn is very good. Got to start checking the beer store here as they usually bring in a limited edition one over the holidays.

That plus the Fullers Limited Edition Vintage Ale. They make a different one every year, in bottle fermenting, so kind of like a wine, gets better with age. Think I have some here going back 4-5 yrs. Usually buy 3-4 every year, drink one right away, drink one more next year, one the year after, etc, etc. Amazing the difference in taste over the run of a year.

:D

Just found a beer-shop near my father´s house, 20 minutes walk from his home, it seems it has some of the beers you´ve mentioned here.

http://www.estutienda.com/estucerveza/index.asp?p=1

Some Canadian beers also, just a few: "Unibroue"... you haven´t mentioned it, but I suppose that you know it... at first sight they have a good look as I like Abbey style also...

By now, in a very quick look, I´ve seen some Imperial Stouts, Indian Pale, Brew Dog (the Tokyo seems to be a very strong beer) an the Young´s Double Chocolate.

I´ll make a little raid after payday... ;D

I know more places here, mainly wine, beer & spirits specialized stores, really good stores: they don´t have on-line catalogues, so I will explore them by foot, ol´style... who knows.

And someday, I'd like to make it to the UK, and visit the Black Sheep brewery. It was featured on an episode of "The Two Fat Ladies", and I loved their shows. "To the Black Sheep!" "And all who follow her!"

I absolutely love trying new drinks (and food). I use to work in a Liquor Store so I often took beers home to try. I think an important thing to remember when tasting beer is that alot has to do with your mood, what you ate or are eating.

Certain beers lend themselves better to different foods. If you've ever tried pairing a beer with a food you may notice that some beer flavours really do match certain foods. Also what you ate, that is the taste left in your mouth from the last thing you ate. That is why wine tasters often clean their palete in between tastings.

Your mood definately has alot to do with it. Imagine you are home sitting in front of the t.v. on a cold winters day. Now imagine yourself with friends on the deck, by the ocean on a warm summers evening. I bet what ever you drink during the later will taste pretty good hu?

I know of a number of beers I've tasted once and liked, then another time I did not. And sometimes I'm just not in the mood at all. And just like wine, the only beer I don't like are the ones that are really acidic and bitter.Bitter can be good but not when it's overwheliming.

Nobody here has mentioned Mc.Ewans malt liquor. This is different than other dark beers as it is sweet. I also like the Abbey beers. Chimay is nice. For an extra treat try a quart of Chimay Grande Reserve.Yummm. Fuller's London Porter is also one of my favorites as well. mmmm dark chocolate.From Germany Erdinger makes a decent dark beer, Weibbier Dunkel.

I gotta say ....For an accidental thread this one is attracting a lot of interest ....wonder why ::)

Chris.

Chris S said:
I gotta say ....For an accidental thread this one is attracting a lot of interest ....wonder why ::)

Chris.
;) C´mon Chris, you know absolutely why ;D ... good drinking (an eating) it´s a pure pleasure. Also, I don´t know why, but I know very few men that don´t like beer. Women too, yes but men are more prone to beer drinking and really enjoying that, I don´t know why.

Noname, I agree with what you´re saying about "the mood" when drinking, but the only hint I will do to what you say is that supposedly, you don´t drink-for-pleasure (shouldn´t drink-for-pleasure) when you are not in the right mood, in the same way that you wouldn´t eat whe you are not hungry... (( I don´t know if I´m being able enough to explain it clearly in english... ::) ))

Mmmm CHIMAY is between my favourite ones, specially the red label ones against the blue & the white labels. I can buy it very easily.
Fullers is very good, the one I can find easily near home is pint sized can of "London Pride",
Erdinger also an easy find...

But I don´t know Mc Ewans Malt Liquor...

Guiness is good, but there are lagers stronger, it has the thickness, but not a strong taste.

i am more of a Lager guy... my favorite beer would have to be Becks, is a German import, next in line would have to be Killian's, there is another beer i like too, they make a pumpkin beer thats pretty good, can't remember the name of the company, its basically a orange slice with a pair of sunglasses and a Mohawk.

noname said:
...From Germany Erdinger makes a decent dark beer, Weibbier Dunkel.

Erdinger's Weissbiere are excellent. They're a specialty brewery, brewing only wheat beers (Weizenbier, or with a bairisch accent, Weissbier and old-school with an Ess-Tsett: Weiβbier). Franziskaner (now owned by Spaten) also brews a dark wheat (which I have right now in the cellar), but Erdinger makes other varieties, like a Weizenbock--a wheat bock beer, which is also very good.

I'm a fan of a good Bavarian wheat beer, overall. Sweet and malty, and without lemon, please, that's for the Ami tourists, no self-respecting Bayer would ever do that.

Na, prost!
Brad

13aceofspades13 said:
Guiness is good, but there are lagers stronger, it has the thickness, but not a strong taste.

i am more of a Lager guy... my favorite beer would have to be Becks, is a German import, next in line would have to be Killian's, there is another beer i like too, they make a pumpkin beer thats pretty good, can't remember the name of the company, its basically a orange slice with a pair of sunglasses and a Mohawk.

Neither Guiness or Killian's is a Lager.

Guiness is a Stout (and a weak one at that), Killian's is a Red Ale, both are about as far away from a Lager as you can get.

Becks is what is called a "Pale Lager" or Pilsner. Not a true Lager, but close enough.

A good Pilsner style beer is the original Budweiser, (no not the swill made by Anheiser Busch), but that make in the Czech Republic, originally called Budvar, or in English, Budweiser (the w is actually supposed to be pronounced like a V and not a W, so budveiser), however Anheiser Busch sued them for the name and won, so they have since renamed it Czechvar, but still the same great beer. Another good one is Pilsner Urquell....probably one of the best Pilsner beers on the market. One that comes close, and is made right here in Canada (but I believe only available in Ontario) is Steamwhistle. Made in an old CN roundabout house at the base of the CN Tower.

All this talk is making me thirsty, picked up a couple of Innes & Gunn Highland Cask last night, may have to pop one open.

Elm City Hobbies said:
All this talk is making me thirsty, picked up a couple of Innes & Gunn Highland Cask last night, may have to pop one open.

Should I have one of these... I would do it...

Do it, Scott, do it, life is too much unpredictable... 8)

Carpe diem ;)
RG

Jelly I think I get what you are saying.

Most of the people who are taking the time to write a detailed post in this thread I think drink for pleasure. That is for the taste. Of course when you are young it's for another reason. ::) It is the difference between really tasting what you are drinking and just guzzling something down for the fun or effect. But when the atmosphere is right, with friends and eating great food, some beer (or other drink) may taste better than usual because you are in a good mood, relaxed and enjoying your meal. Now that cold winter day is a great time for a dark porter, stout or whatever (single malt scotch, sherry). But the hot summer days call for a light beer such as Becks or one of the hundred other easy drinking beers out there.

I remember one night freinds had us over for a meal. I was drinking a eauropean wheat beer (probably either Erdinger or Konig ludwig) and they had these cheesy pastry thingys and they seemed to compliment each other incredibly well. I remember another time I made a seafood chowder and drank a really strong beer (both taste and alcohol) and they went really nice together. These times happened 2-3 years ago and I never forgot those taste combinations. What I'm saying is that I enjoyed them that much!

The Innes and Gun beers are really interesting. I've only had the one with the scotch. It was a treat.... I like scotch. ;D And I do like Guiness. I don't drink it much cause I don't like cans and that is how they sell it here.

The Innes and Gun beers are really interesting. I've only had the one with the scotch. It was a treat.... I like scotch. Grin And I do like Guiness. I don't drink it much cause I don't like cans and that is how they sell it here.

All of their beers are done with the scotch, with the exception of one which is done with rum.

How Innes & Gunn started out was they were building the oak barrels for a Scottish Scotch maker (the name escapes me who now), and they were basically seasoning the barrels (they have to be seasoned before Scotch can go into it) by making beer in them, but the beer just went down the drain as at the time they were a barrel maker, not a beer maker.

So then the lightbulb went on, and instead of wasting the beer, the beer that would come out of the seasoning process, would then go back in used Scotch barrels for X number of days to impart the scotch flavor into the beer, bottle and sell it. Now they do a number of different beers, some different number of days in the barrels, others from different kinds of Scotch barrels.

Some of the ones I have here:

Highland Cask - Matured 69days in 18yr old single malt scotch whiskey barrels. Taste character is a smooth, complex and warming beer with notes of vanilla and toffee.

Now, I just realized that this one is different than the Highland Cask they put out last year, as it was aged 49 days in 21yr old Scotch Whiskey barrels from the Speyside region of Scotland.

Then we have:

Blonde, matured 37 days, fruity, vanilla oak flavor (my wife's favorite)

Canada Day 2011, matured 54 days in Canadian Bourbon barrels, has Ale malt, Munich malt, which gives it a biscuit like backbone as well as golden oats for a smooth finish. Single variety of Fuggles hops, only grown in Kent, England. Only 160 barrels of this stuff made...so rare one of a kind beer.

Rum Cask, basically their regular brew, which is matured in Scotch barrels for 60 odd days, they then transfer it to Rum barrels for another 57 days. Very tasty

And last year they made a special Winter beer, here is what it says on the bottle, 61days in barrel, large amounts of Pale Ale and crystal malts impart the caramel fruit character, strength and body. WGV, Styrian and Goldings hops give the sherry like intensity and ripe fruit aroma, and the heavily toasted bourbon-oak mellos the beer and provides a deep, complex, oaky background. Perfect for the cold dark nights of winter, a beer to be sipped, savoured and appreciated.

The winter beer (well none of them really) is one you sit down and suck back a dozen to get hammered (it will do that, and likely before you get through a dozen since it is 8.5%), leave that to the Budweiser and Molson Canadian.

Well this thread is turning into a beer connoisseur's thread....what better than beer and models!!

The only other one I've seen is the rum one which I have yet to try.

They all sound intersting and I will have to try. Not sure about the Canada Day version. You mentioned Canadian boubon barrels. Bourbon is American whisky. Do you mean canadian whisky (rye)?

Just reading what is on the box that comes with the bottle.

Bourbon isn't only American though, and there is a difference between Rye (which most of CDN Rye isn't really Rye) and Bourbon. It is all in the grain that is used in the making of it.

Yes that is right. There are some true Canadian Ryes however. Alberta Springs is one if I remember correctly. Not aware of any Canadian Bourbons tho. Even tho Scotch is product of Scotland, there is one made here in Cape Breton. The only single malt in North America (Glen Breton).

And most Vodka isn't made with potatos. And most amber rum is coloured with caramel. etc. I prefer products with a long history that uses old recipres. That way you get the real deal. ;D

Speaking of beer, I like the ancient purity law that still stands in Germany. Only allowed to use the basic three or four ingredients since the 1600s.

Latest posts

Back