Guiness Beer

Yeah I think there are only 2 CDN Ryes that are actually made with Rye....Alberta Springs is one of them....the other I can't remember.

Most CDN Ryes are made with corn or wheat, and lots of times blends of the 2, Bourbon is made with a corn mash as well, so maybe that is where they take it from. Doesn't say what maker the barrels are from.

I have been turned on to 40 Creek by a friend of mine. No single malt, but is very tasty.

Alot of the big name brands of booze aren't made the way we think. Jose Cuervo isn't true tequila as it is a blend of a bunch. In fact when I was in Mexico a couple of years ago, one of the bar tenders at the resort gave myself and a friend of mine a lesson on Tequila. Jose Cuervo is pretty much a bad/cheap name in Mexico. Real tequila, that is aged for a few years (much the same way as Scotch in barrels) is actually very good, smooth and tasty.....again, much like some fine single malts. I never even liked the smell of tequila nevermind the taste until I went to Mexico.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Neither Guiness or Killian's is a Lager.

Killian's Irish red not a lager, are you sure?
killiansirishread.jpg

never said Guiness was a lager, its a stout, i said i have drank many Lagers stronger than Guiness in my opinion.

13aceofspades13 said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

killiansirishread.jpg

never said Guiness was a lager, its a stout, i said i have drank many Lagers stronger than Guiness in my opinion.

Ahhh well, sorry about that, I guess since being purchased by Molson-Coors, that they changed it to a Red Lager, which is actually false as there is no such thing as a Red Lager. Lager, is Lager. Red or Amber beer is almost always an Ale (unless it is a fruity beer).

The original Killian's was an Irish Red Ale. Another beer killed by the big breweries.

Elm City Hobbies said:

Actually, if they're stored for a time after bottling or filling in casks, for ageing before consumption, that's all that lagering is. The term is being used rather loosely by many brewers today in their advertising, but it's not really a distinct style or type, like stout, Bock, Hefeweizen, etc.

Well, while the original German word in exact translation does mean 'storage', it refers to being stored cold in caves to ferment, versus say room temperature.

True Lagers are made with bottom fermenting yeast, which works better when left to sit in cold temperatures, while a stout like Guinness is made with top fermenting yeast and allowed to sit at warmer temperatures. So technically, there's more to Lager than just storing it.

Bottom fermenting yeast beers will traditionally have more carbonation than top fermenting beers.

Bottom fermenting, IE Lager, is also easier to do, and not as finicky with temps, where as a stout or ale which is top fermented has a fairly narrow band of temperature where the yeast works. Too cold and it stops working, too warm and it kills it.

Which is why you see most of the bigger breweries calling their beers Lager (like Killian's) when they really weren't intended to be or were originally an ale or stout.

BTW....Guiness....is not so much an import anymore. The ones we get here are actually made and bottled under license by the brewery about an hr down the road (Moosehead Breweries), so no longer really an import.....not sure about US Guiness but I would assume it is a similar arrangement with one of the US' breweries. So you end up paying import prices for a beer that really isn't imported. There are others as well that are done that way.

I may be mistaken but I thought the Guinness made in Canada was actually the "draft" or something like that. Around here you get the bottles in a six pack that have a slightly different label. But you also get the regular stout in the can.

Apparently it's true. You don't get quite the real deal here.They have to put preservatives in it so it can cross the Atalantic. And the only true Guinness can be found at the factory because of the water they use. So even if you get a pint in London it won't taste exactly like that back in it's home. Only Spud and Chris will know the real taste of Guinness. Hey wait, they don't even like it! Maybe our version is better guys!!!LOL

I have to say here as well that Canada does make some pretty good beer. I usually don't bother with the big commercial brands. Here in New Scotland we have our own micro breweries. I quite like Garrison. Some of the Propeller isn't bad. Then there is Sleemans and those famous evil beers from Quebec...Maudite (the damned One) oooh scary,yet tasty beer!!!!

Maudite_logo.jpg

You've never seen the water in the Liffy have you ?.... :eek: Mind you ,most of it was on the streets of Dublin yesterday !

Chris.

I simply love Garrison's stuff. Don't get me wrong, the 2 micro breweries here in NB (Pumphouse and Picaroons) make some great stuff as well, but I really like Garrison's beer. Missed their Oktoberfest this year....it was in and gone at the beer store here in about 2 days. Did score some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and the Paulinier Oktoberfest in the 1L can with the 1L beer mug.

Also missed out on Garrison's Spring Sugar Moon Maple. Had one last year and it was awesome, went back and it was all gone. This year, again, in the store and gone in days.

Their Hop Yard Pale is really good, but my favorite has to be their unfiltered Imperial IPA.....oooo the hops!!!

Problem is, ANBL here in NB doesn't bring many of their beers in....most of their regulars, and then you get the Imperial IPA all the time, the Blackberry (which is very tasty, great thirst quenching summer beer), and then the Oktoberfest and Sugar Moon Maple when they are in season (if you can get them). They have been doing a good job here bringing in new and interesting brews, but they could be doing a better job, considering that beer sales outsells both wine and liquor sales. Variety is the spice of life!!

There is a new brewpub that opened in Dalhousie, NB a couple of months ago....my wife's family is from up there, so will get to try it at Xmas. Might not need to sneak over to Quebec to get a beer fix, just down the road. They make it in very small batches (160 growlers at a time) so it is always fresh. The Picaroons store here in Freddy had some, but they sold out as fast as they came in.

As far as CDN Guiness, I think the draft is actually still imported from Ireland, but the reg. stuff is brewed under license in Canada at Moosehead. Says on the can something like, Your Fine Imported Irish Stout, brewed in Saint, John, NB, Canada.

Moosehead brews and distributes more beer under license, than they do their own brands of beer.

They make, Guiness and Kilkenny from Ireland, Red Stripe from Jamaica as well as distribute Sam Adams. Plus they have been known to bottle Coors and Molson CDN when their own breweries couldn't keep up, however this has been weaned off since Molson opened their own brewery in Moncton.

Elm City Hobbies said:
13aceofspades13 said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

killiansirishread.jpg

ooh.... i see, they changed the name...

Ahhh well, sorry about that, I guess since being purchased by Molson-Coors, that they changed it to a Red Lager, which is actually false as there is no such thing as a Red Lager. Lager, is Lager. Red or Amber beer is almost always an Ale (unless it is a fruity beer).

The original Killian's was an Irish Red Ale. Another beer killed by the big breweries.

ScaleModelMadman said:
Well, while the original German word in exact translation does mean 'storage', it refers to being stored cold in caves to ferment, versus say room temperature.

True Lagers are made with bottom fermenting yeast, which works better when left to sit in cold temperatures, while a stout like Guinness is made with top fermenting yeast and allowed to sit at warmer temperatures. So technically, there's more to Lager than just storing it.

Bottom fermenting yeast beers will traditionally have more carbonation than top fermenting beers.

You are correct, but I didn't mean the literal translation of "lager", but it's connotation or meaning in the brewing process. "Lager" still isn't a style, such as stout, Belgian Trappist, Bavarian wheat, Pilsner, Bock, etc, though it is a component of styles, such as Munich lager, Viennese lager, American lager (eg, Busch, Yuengling, Coor's). You're correct, they're all bottom-fermented beers, and typically allowed to age for several months before consumption. And true, too, ales, and the German Altbiers and Koelsch, typically use top-fermenting yeasts, which tend to thrive at warmer temperatures.

As a followup to the mention of temperature, a beer is best served at a temperature close to that at which its yeast ferments. It drives me nuts to be handed a frosted glass, for example--I'll hold it under my arm to warm it up. Or to hear, "The Germans drink warm beer". No, they have refrigerators (my mother actually asked my German girlfried that question, when she was visiting), but bitte, kellerkuehl, cellar temperature, not frozen.

Na, prost, with your favorite beer!
Brad

I like my beer cold, but you can keep the frosted glasses and mugs....that just adds water to the beer. If you want watered down beer, just drink a US Budweiser or Busch.... ;D ;D ;D

My store room stays decently cold, and for some beers it is fine, but still prefer they be in the fridge.

Had a guy hand me a room temp. Guiness one time.....he clearly didn't know what he was doing, since it says right on the can to chill! LOL

Well, yesterday I drank a bottle of Abbey-style beer (Grimbergen Double, not my favourite, but it was what I just had at hand) ... I didn´t wanted it very cold... so I simply let the bottle outside the house during the afternoon... and then I put the bottle more or less 20 minutes in the fridge (not the freezer)... it was a good temperature for me... I would never do this with a lager beer.

Fortunately I had the appropriate kind of glass to drink it (trappist glass style cup). This is also important.

Jelly said:

Fortunately I had the appropriate kind of glass to drink it (trappist glass style cup). This is also important.

Yes, I haven't had a drank a beer from the bottle since I was maybe 22.

Yes, good point, the glass is important! I have proper wheat beer glasses for my Hefeweizen. At Oktoberfest time (which is not, repeat, not now, I break out my glass Masskruege. I have over 250 glasses and mugs in my collection, though most are still in storage.

Stoneware mugs are good, because they retain their temperature relatively well in the open air, they don't warm up too fast. Pottery are OK, but not as stable, temperature-wise.

I like to use glass, because I enjoy the color of the beer, as well as the taste. And with a lid, please, to keep the flies out in the summertime ;)

This reminds me, for anyone who builds a diorama or paints figures, and wants to portray them drinking--it's easy to replicate pewter, especially with metal figures, but realize that stoneware and pottery were far more common than pewter. And you can apply regional variations to the vessels--a mug in England in 1650 would have looked different from one from Normandy, which would have been different from one from the Rheinland, to say nothing of what people used on other continents, and so on.

Unfortunately I don't have a good glass collection, but I have noticed a few beers before did actually taste better in the appropriate glass. I also enjoy the colour of different beer as well.

The reason it tastes better in the glass than in the bottle, simple, you smell as you taste/drink. Your olfactory senses are apart of how you perceive the taste of food and drink. As well some beer, like wine, need to open up and breathe, which they can't do in a bottle of can.

Even a Budweiser from a can poured into a plastic disposable cup will taste different straight from the can compared to out of a plastic cup.

Unfortunately, I have not a very extensive glass collection for specific kinds of beer: I have just one pint glass for stout beers, one very nice cup for lager beer, one pint glass that came with a Franciskaner (Weizen glass), and a wide cup for Abbey / Trappist beer styles.

Ken, don’t be so orthodox! (in the good sense, man ) When I´m partying if I´m not drinking Gin Tonic, the good ´ol classic Screwdriver or the Cuba-Libre I still enjoy drinking cold beer from the can or the bottle ! … but I personally try to avoid the plastic glasses…

Some special beer packs come with one or two cups, usually they are vey nice. I very specially like the wide, open cups for trappist beer, and a polygonal glass for a very aromatic beer, very refreshing called “Hoegaarden”, they are light, easy to drink. That kind of glasses for the Hoegaarden-style beers are called “Tumbler”.

Noname said

I was drinking a eauropean wheat beer (probably either Erdinger or Konig ludwig) and they had these cheesy pastry thingys and they seemed to compliment each other incredibly well. I remember another time I made a seafood chowder and drank a really strong beer (both taste and alcohol) and they went really nice together.

That concept is called (in Castilian) “maridaje” (the most similar translation to English that I know would be “marriage”): usually every beverage matches with a number of meals… and not with anothers…

Latest posts

Back