Hi fellow hobbyists! Has anyone tried the Medusa Clash of the Titans model kit being shipped from Taiwan?

chrislunetta

The model is about half the price as the original. There's a link or two on YouTube showing people building it, and they even say that he got the one from Taiwan to save some money and he seemed pretty pleased with it. But they were also very experienced model makers.

Does anyone have experience using these recast models? I'm not a novice, but I'm not an expert either. I'm wondering if this one might challenge me a bit too much. I appreciate all your thoughts!!

IMG_7691.jpeg

IMG_7690.jpeg

Not usually what I do, but Welcome!!!!!
Ask away many great people here and good advice.

Welcome to the Herd!
As far as recasts go, I avoid them, because recasts are generally unauthorized copies and the original sculptor gets nothing from the sale.

Welcome to the Herd!
As far as recasts go, I avoid them, because recasts are generally unauthorized copies and the original sculptor gets nothing from the sale.
I understand where you're coming from, however, seeing that the sculptor stoped selling their product, approx 30 years ago and the original model kit is going for almost $200, I personally don't feel quite so so bad. Besides, my paying $200 for 30-year-old model also doesn't give the original sculptor any money just the individual who resold it. But if you can find an original Clash Of The Titans Medusa model kit where the original sculptor is getting paid for my purchase, please post a link for me. I'd be more than happy to check it out.

Welcome to the Herd!

Read up on copyright laws if you are unfamiliar with it.

Recasts, repops, all the same. Many hobby companies do it. Look at Revell, Eduard, Hasegawa, and others. All legal and have copyrights bought for the molds of other companies.

So it appears my question has turned into a discussion about whether or not it is ethical to purchase a recast model. Seems like that would be an excellent discussion of its own.

Would anybody care to comment and help me figure out on what it's like to work with these resin or soft vinyl kits from Taiwan? Are they more difficult than the originals?

Read up on copyright laws if you are unfamiliar with it.

Recasts, repops, all the same. Many hobby companies do it. Look at Revell, Eduard, Hasegawa, and others. All legal and have copyrights bought for the molds of other companies.
Maybe it is you who should read up on copyright laws. Are you an attorney?

Buying another company's molds and the rights that come with the transfer of ownership are not the same thing as pirating another maker's intellectual property.

Piracy is a major problem in the figure world particularly. Many figure kits are produced by individuals, as well as by larger companies. Those sculptors face theft of their kits on a regular basis, and often their recourse is too costly for them to pursue.

In any case, in response to your original snide comment of who cares, many in the hobby do, but yes, it's a personal choice to decide whether or not to buy a kit that you suspect is an unlicensed copy and so, the original maker gets nothing from that sale. I choose to avoid buying a figure when there's a possibility that it's pirated, but others may choose to buy it.

Buying another company's molds and the rights that come with the transfer of ownership are not the same thing as pirating another maker's intellectual property.

Piracy is a major problem in the figure world particularly. Many figure kits are produced by individuals, as well as by larger companies. Those sculptors face theft of their kits on a regular basis, and often their recourse is too costly for them to pursue.

In any case, in response to your original snide comment of who cares, many in the hobby do, but yes, it's a personal choice to decide whether or not to buy a kit that you suspect is an unlicensed copy and so, the original maker gets nothing from that sale. I choose to avoid buying a figure when there's a possibility that it's pirated, but others may choose to buy it.
Either of you two love birds have any experience with making a recast from Twain?

Wow… no I'm not an attorney. But at my place of employment I learned a few things about copyright laws. Yes, piracy is an issue. In this case it's not piracy of a product. I get it if you won't buy "unlicensed" products because the original sculptor gets nothing from it. It's your choice. Again… it's the buyers choice to purchase it. My take.. I could care less since it's fair game - pirated or not. But, you have no proof the Medusa kit is pirated.

Save your lectures over at FSM with the rest of the woke/cancel culture liberals over there.

Christ on a crutch, you guys. All the guy I asked was how to build the model? Has anyone done it? Y'all need a Snickers

LOLOLOLOOLLLLLL
ROTHFLLMAO !!!!
LOLLLLL(oolLLlLl

My original "snide" comment? Nope, I speak what's on my mind. I'm not afraid to respond to liberal BS regardless the subject. You have your opinion, I have mine.
Ok this is enough. I'm pretty new to this group, but you two are making this turn into nothing more than your typical ugly Facebook spat. Everybody who's commented on this post now has to hear your quibble. Please stop it and bring this crap over to Facebook where like minds can argue about this crap endlessly. I'm out of here if this is what this page is about. People like you ruin everything with your boredom. Maybe it's time for both you to go grab yourself a new model kit and get your mind on something more creative and less querulous.

New question to other members not involved in the middle of an argument, does this page have a block button so I don't have to read certain peoples conversational narcissism?

Ok this is enough. I'm pretty new to this group, but you two are making this turn into nothing more than your typical ugly Facebook spat. Everybody who's commented on this post now has to hear your quibble. Please stop it and bring this crap over to Facebook where like minds can argue about this crap endlessly. I'm out of here if this is what this page is about. People like you ruin everything with your boredom. Maybe it's time for both you to go grab yourself a new model kit and get your mind on something more creative and less querulous.

New question to other members not involved in the middle of an argument, does this page have a block button so I don't have to read certain peoples conversational narcissism?
If you tap on the avatar icon you should see a new panel that says ignore.

Personally I wouldn't, it will blow over in time. It would be a great pity to loose a member as there are so many great people here to help. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back