How do you know what paint to use on my model

If it is listed or marked as Olive Drab, I think so. Not putting myself out there as some sort of expert, but close is good enough in this case.

If you buy a jar of olive Drab form 4 different companies, you might end up with 5 different shades :)
Exactly. Keep in mind, there's no right or wrong Olive Drab. Just choose what works for you. Believe me, I have several Olive Drab colors…

Model Master
Gunze
Aeromaster
Pollyscale
Tamiya
AK Interactive Real Color

"Olive Drab" is a hard color to nail down, arguably one of the worst. I've seen photographs of aircraft painted with the exact FS# have at least a dozen different variations on the skin after time in service.

I cannot explain all the details of why, but part of it is the "flat" nature of the paint. It is just more affected (damaged) by sun and rain than bare metal or some other paints would be.

In this case there are clearly two different green used, but look within those colors and see all the little variations?

View attachment 127622

I guess the point is, with Olive Drab, more so than other colors, there's a large window of what is considered correct.
Most likely it's Olive drab with Green drab, or Dark green.

Olive Drab comes in different Federal Standard #s

FS14087
FS34086 - Olive Drab 2
FS34087 - Common standard Olive Drab. Sometimes listed as Khaki Drab by some paint brands
FS34088 - Olive Drab ANA 618
RLM 81 is WW2 Luftwaffe Olive Drab

Whiskey Tango !?! I just ordered this USMC Green product and was checking on the link I posted in here and THIS MIGHT BE A PROBLEM??! Should I be worried about buying a DISCONTINUED product?

View attachment 127708
No need to be concerned. Word has it they're phasing out the glass bottles and switching to dropper bottles. Old news going back in July 2024.

No need to be concerned. Word has it they're phasing out the glass bottles and switching to dropper bottles. Old news going back in July 2024.
Okay. I do want to try the USMC GREEN Color on either my JLTV-GP or the Helicopter. I hope I like it. I'm kind of left here in the dark for the moment so when God comes back He will lead me in the way I should paint. He leaves me alone from time to time and He trusts me to do good things while he is gone.... I wonder if I got the last glass jar of USMC Green?

Last edited:
No such thing as hair brush primer. LOL!
I believe you were misunderstood Rimmer. He hand brush his primer. After all, he's the Lord of hand brushing model kits. He's good at it and have seen his work.
What is THIS then?

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...-surface-primer-white/TAM00087096/product.php

EDIT::I just cancelled the order for primer and God was hiding and watching me and likes that I cancelled the order.

EDIT:: Looks like Walmart Primer is the best? Can I get white primer in 2X Rust oleum?

Last edited:
This looks almost like what I have. (If I have white primer for the Olive Drab Faded) MY orange is a Little more luminous but like you said; you can't see the real colors on a computer. The second picture is the way I want the orange to be painted on rather than the 1966 livery.

OrangeAnd Green001.png

chinook1966orange.jpg

No such thing as hair brush primer. LOL!
I believe you were misunderstood Rimmer. He hand brush his primer. After all, he's the Lord of hand brushing model kits. He's good at it and have seen his work.

You're too kind sir - it's not that good, I just hide it with crap photography LOL!

As for brushable primers - the two I use are 'Humbrol #1' and 'The Ultimate Primer' in grey. Neither are specifically 'brush' primers as they can be shot through an airbrush, but both do brush-paint well and give good coverage. However it's worth noting that I only ever paint with water-based paints so I'm not 100% sure how they'd react with lacquer paints etc. You'd have to run a test on a scrap bit of plastic.

Am I right in thinking this is your first model kit?

(I apologise by the way, if it takes me a while to respond to questions. I have two disabled kids of my own in the house and by the time I get to sit down my brain is pretty much fried).

You're too kind sir - it's not that good, I just hide it with crap photography LOL!

As for brushable primers - the two I use are 'Humbrol #1' and 'The Ultimate Primer' in grey. Neither are specifically 'brush' primers as they can be shot through an airbrush, but both do brush-paint well and give good coverage. However it's worth noting that I only ever paint with water-based paints so I'm not 100% sure how they'd react with lacquer paints etc. You'd have to run a test on a scrap bit of plastic.

Am I right in thinking this is your first model kit?

(I apologise by the way, if it takes me a while to respond to questions. I have two disabled kids of my own in the house and by the time I get to sit down my brain is pretty much fried).
When I was a child my grandmother put together models for me to hang from the ceiling because I loved airplanes. I had a B-52, bomber an F-15, and a space shuttle. Then when I was 7 or8 years old she signed me up to get a model in the mail every month. she didn't like how tiny the kits were going to be. I think they must have been 1:72 or something.. I'm building a Joint Light Tactical Vehicle JLTV-GP scale model to show the military personnel a modification to their JLTV Camouflage and I think that if they can see it on a scale model they will have a greater chance of using my camouflage. I thought i found a JLTV at a toy store but the product I was looking at was in another state from where I live and the local store didn't have the kit..

Anyway I was looking around in the toy shop and saw a helicopter model kit. It was a CH-46 Sea Knight and I imagined having the JLTV slung carried from the chopper. I bought it for $25 and knew it would be small-ish but thought maybe I could make it work. It was much much smaller than I had imagined. So anyways I was putting on the last rotor blade and was nearly finished when I dropped it in the floor. and all but one of the rotor blades broke off. They were too tiny and I couldn't glue the rotors back on.

I'm getting my second kit as an adult in the mail soon hopefully it won't be the wrong kit,,,. I need it to be large enough to showcase the camouflage for the JLTV. check out my other thread HERE:: Joint Light Tactical Vehicle JLTV-GP

I have a lot to learn but the awesome people in this forum have been a great help! without them and YouTube I couldn't be doing this modeling!

Last edited:
That's awesome, and glad to hear you've had some experience.

The main two (three) best pieces of advice I can give you are 1. Have Fun! 2. Never ever compare your work with anyone else - models aren't hard, but like any craft it takes practice to get proficient. There's no point comparing your early builds with a guy that's been modelling for 30 years. 3.... what was three... Oh yes, take your time, test fit, practice, ask questions and most of all - have fun!

Back