How much thinner to use

durangod

Hi i purchased some eyedroppers to thin paint for spraying in my hand held but not sure how much thinner to use to thin it.

I got glass ones so i dont have to worry about what i use in them if i need to.

20241014_152258.jpg

I have the same or very similar eyedroppers, but I cannot tell you specific amounts. I think using ratios instead.
A common "rule of thumb" says to thin till your paint looks as thin as skim milk. For me, the problem is that I don't drink skim milk, so that doesn't help. But I'll thin my Tamiya X/XF acrylics starting at about 10:1 paint to thinner, and eyeball it, up to just less than 2:1, or 50%. I'll add that I'll use an eyedropper to measure the paint into the cup, too. That's about as precise as I get with it, though.
I don't know if that helps, but I hope so.

A PS...
I use the eyedropper to add water as necessary to my wet palette, too. I could pour water into it, from a bottle or a plastic cup (I use the plastic cups from chocolate pudding on my bench), but it's too easy to pour too much at once, or spill it. The eyedropper practically eliminates spills or adding to much water.

I vary the thinners depending on the manufacturer.

For Mr Hobby primers use just enough to get a good spray, so it's a matter of spray and see.
For AK 3 rd gen and Vallejo I would mix in equal amounts, so ,50 /50.

The Mr Hobby I find is less likely to clog the AB .

There's no hard and fast rule for how much to thin paint — even if you read (for example) to "thin Tamiya acrylics 1:1 with X-20A," what about older paint from which some of the thinner has evaporated, leaving it thicker than from a brand-new bottle? And that's without even considering that different brands and/or types of paint will probably require different thinning ratios, let alone the question of what you use to thin the paint with, because that will also matter.

My normal method is just to add in some thinner until I think it looks to be enough, then try spraying. If it's too thick, I add a little bit more thinner, and if it's too thin, I put in a little more paint :) IMHO your best use for those eyedroppers is to put some thinner into them and just squeeze out some into the paint until it sprays well.

My sprayer does not have a cup, its the testors version and so i will be using a empty testers jar or the actual testors color jar. I have some of the larger testors paint bottles as well but i will use the empty testors jar to spray.

I drink skim milk so that makes sense to me. :)

sprayer.jpg

Latest posts

Back