paint removal

durangod

Sorry i forgot, what is the formula again to soak a model part (not chrime not clear) to remove paint to start over?

Its all testor acrylic paint other than the primer.

Oh its superclean, i thought it was a mixed concoction of some kind. I added alittle rubbing alchohol in with the superclean, ill see how that does.

Last edited:
Sorry i forgot, what is the formula again to soak a model part (not chrime not clear) to remove paint to start over?

Oh its superclean, i thought it was a mixed concoction of some kind. I added alittle rubbing alchohol in with the superclean, ill see how that does.
People in the UK seem to like Dettol, it's hygiene for surfaces , cuts etc .Don't know where you are ?

2801eca7f7364b10b3c429b432b82bb6

this is all i could get from superclean. I sanded the back clean to test and came off but cant sand front. So trying pure rubbing alchohol to see if works more on front.

20241001_063752.jpg20241001_063757.jpg

Update after an hour in alchohol and using scrub brush i think this is about the best its gonna get. So ill try painting again.

20241001_074011.jpg

Last edited:
With SuperClean, the longer the soak, the more paint will come off or soften to the point where it rinses off under running water, or scrubs easily with an old toothbrush. Most cases, a soak of about 5 minutes suffices. I have had a couple of items, metal figures, that were painted with God-knows-what-kind of paint it was, that took a day or two for me to get it all. But those are rare exceptions.
I do usually let the piece soak a couple of hours while I work on something else, or between sessions.
With chromed styrene, it was two minutes from start to squeaky-clean.

This is good enough, using fine point sharpie, fine tip chrome pen. I feel if i try to do more im gonna mess it up again.

Im glad u changed colors from tan to red. If i would have used black primer i think the background of guages would show up better but thats ok ill know next time.

I would love to use the sharpie on the ring of the two big guages but one slip and its over. Plus if i do those i have to do the others and i cant do the small ones. But i am so tempted to try the big ones. Nope i need to stick to my limits and its good enough :)

20241001_115310.jpg

The Baron has tried to tell y'all half a dozen times already and I agree...

Super Clean.

Straight Super Clean.

Don't add anything or cut it with anything.

Cover the painted part/parts/chrome to be removed in a container, let it soak, keep scrubbing/testing with a tooth/brush.

If you have to, Leave it a day. Leave it a week. Leave it a month, it won't matter.

I left a $400.00 1/25th British Chieftain soaking in it for over a year as a test, with the clear parts too, and it didn't do a thing to the plastic. Resin will start to soften after a few hours and you can damage resin but it still works great on resin if you soak it a few minutes/an hour, scrub and repeat as needed.

When you're done, strain it through a coffee filter and put it back in the jug and use it over and over again.

When it gets too dirty to fool with, just pour it down the kitchen/sink/tub/shower/washing machine drain... or on the oil spot on your driveway... or clean your engine with it.

It's biodegradable.

Rob.

This is good enough, using fine point sharpie, fine tip chrome pen. I feel if i try to do more im gonna mess it up again.

Im glad u changed colors from tan to red. If i would have used black primer i think the background of guages would show up better but thats ok ill know next time.

I would love to use the sharpie on the ring of the two big guages but one slip and its over. Plus if i do those i have to do the others and i cant do the small ones. But i am so tempted to try the big ones. Nope i need to stick to my limits and its good enough :)

View attachment 125699

Your alcohol will wipe Sharpie right off. 100% if ya' got it, but 90% works too.

Rob.

Last edited:
The Baron has tried to tell y'all half a dozen times already and I agree...

Super Clean.

Straight Super Clean.

Don't add anything or cut it with anything.

Cover the painted part/parts/chrome to be removed in a container, let it soak, keep scrubbing/testing with a tooth/brush.

If you have to, Leave it a day. Leave it a week. Leave it a month, it won't matter.

I left a $400.00 1/25th British Chieftain soaking in it for over a year as a test, with the clear parts too, and it didn't do a thing to the plastic. Resin will start to soften after a few hours and you can damage resin but it still works great on resin if you soak it a few minutes/an hour, scrub and repeat as needed.

When you're done, strain it through a coffee filter and put it back in the jug and use it over and over again.

When it gets too dirty to fool with, just pour it down the kitchen/sink/tub/shower/washing machine drain... or on the oil spot on your driveway... or clean your engine with it.

It's biodegradable.

Rob.
i just dont want to wait days, i need the part to go to next step. overnight is fine. I do like superclean.

I will say that adding alittle rubbing alchohol to superclean seemed to work better. And the last of the primer did not come off with straight superclean as i made a fresh batch to test and it soaked for over an hour. But when i went to straight alchohol the primer scrubed off in less than 30 min.

You're not here to mess up a touch up.

FOCUS.

Anyway, If the paint has cured, the alcohol won't remove it, just the Sharpie.

Rob.

Latest posts

Back