Proteus by Moebius Models

trekriffic

So I've had this Proteus kit in my stash for 7 years.
Over that timespan I have had procured several aftermarket add ons.
I have window masks and gaskets from Aztec Dummy for the windows and masks for the bubble.
Paragrafix photo etch will improve the detailing of the control consoles among other things.
I have ordered the seated crew figures from Jimmy Flinstone. I will try to reshape the heads to more closely resemble the actors in the movie
Also just got some PE scissors and am awaiting a soldering jig with four arms from Parts Express.
HDA Modelworx is shipping both warm and cool white 0603 LED strips that are 1.5 mm wide for use around the base in of the bubble.
Anyway, I watched this Fantastic Voyagr on TV as a kid and own the DVD.
I always loved the design of the submarine but…I wanted a good sized model in styrene and was willing to wait, I had no idea I'd have to wait so long.
So when Moebius Models finally issued this kit and I saw s few test shot buildups on the web I was impressed.
I quickly had my local hobby store order me one that same week.
Oh man I was almost gleeful when it finally arrived and I held it in my hands.
So you should expect me to do what I can to do to make a nicely detailed and lit Proteus which is what I plan to do…
So here we go…

Proteus WIP-001
by Steve J, on Flickr

Proteus WIP-002
by Steve J, on Flickr

Excellent paint and decal reference pages:

Proteus WIP-003
by Steve J, on Flickr

Proteus WIP-004
by Steve J, on Flickr

Wow! She's a good sized girl. Measures something like 15 inches long or just a bit more from what I have read:

Proteus WIP-005
by Steve J, on Flickr

Paragrafix photo etch brass. Beautiful work with loads of detail to add to the build.
Too bad the instruction sheet had so many mistakes. I would imagine by now Paul has fixed

Proteus WIP-006
by Steve J, on Flickr

I removed the kit pilot pedals and replaced them with PE using CA glue.
I decided to start with installation of all the photo-etch parts before painting.
Makes it much easier and cleaner to glue the brass to the plastic:

Proteus WIP-007 by Steve J, on Flickr

More PE work coming up… stay tuned…

One of the first films I watched with Donald Pleasence. A true classic which I enjoyed immensely during my childhood. Off to a neat start with the build Steve. Looking forward to watching this one come together. Happy modelling!

Back