Revell 1/48 B-25J

Bear43

Started on this today. Needed something big to give me a break after all those tiny bits on that Model T armored car. Molds for this kit are from 1977. Not a lot of flash and so far what few parts I've messed with fit good. I am doing the gun nose version on this one.

20240720_193629.jpg

Nice choice!
Yeah, Monogram's B-25 kits went together well and looked cool. They represented a high point in Monogram's development. Revell never matched it; their B-25B was OK on the outside, not much of an interior. It was fun to build, when I was a kid, though.

I built Monogram's B-25H when it was first issued, and as a bonus, it included Shep Paine's "Tips for Building Dioramas" featuring the one he built with that kit:

http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/b25.htm

Started on this today. Needed something big to give me a break after all those tiny bits on that Model T armored car. Molds for this kit are from 1977. Not a lot of flash and so far what few parts I've messed with fit good. I am doing the gun nose version on this one.

View attachment 120443
I have this same kit in my stash. You have me thinking about it now.

Last edited:
The kit has a beautiful hidden spot for nose weight. Unfortunately I don't have any weights on hand. Was thinking about getting Liquid Gravity and using sheet styrene to enclose the spot. I'll get something ordered today.

20240724_073935.jpg

The kit has a beautiful hidden spot for nose weight. Unfortunately I don't have any weights on hand. Was thinking about getting Liquid Gravity and using sheet styrene to enclose the spot. I'll get something ordered today.

View attachment 120709
Mike, I found that the wheel weights work great. I tried to find how I paid for these, but I cannot find them on amazon. I remember I didn't pay very much for them.

20240725_015208.jpg

I saw some of those on Amazon but I really couldn't tell how big they were dimensionally so I just ordered the Liquid Gravity from Sprue Brothers.

Mike, I found that the wheel weights work great. I tried to find how I paid for these, but I cannot find them on amazon. I remember I didn't pay very much for them.
You can get these for a few bucks at sporting goods stores. The small ones are handy for tight spots.

1721922314881.png

Drop some into the nose-cone and fill with white-glue to avoid having a rattler, hard to see but you can make them out down in there.

1721922390923.png

I pick up old tire weights when I see them on the road. Whether riding bike or walking. I use them for casting, too, though I have to do a first pass to melt them, remove the dross, and any other impurities, like paint or asphalt.
However, I do get fooled by newer weights which aren't lead and don't melt at the relatively low temperatures of my melting pot (around 475℉)

I use them for casting, too, though I have to do a first pass to melt them, remove the dross, and any other impurities, like paint or asphalt.
Are you making bullets? I have a several pounds of linotype lead stashed from the 80s when I used to work in a print-shop. Haven't molded one in decades though. Keeping the pigs (kind of like a brick) for SHTF or just a rainy day.

Are you making bullets? I have a several pounds of linotype lead stashed from the 80s when I used to work in a print-shop. Haven't molded one in decades though. Keeping the pigs (kind of like a brick) for SHTF or just a rainy day.
I used to work at a linotype check printing company. I have a lead pig in my garage. I worked in the lead room making the pigs.
Small world

Toy soldiers. I have various molds, some old bronze German molds, and modern silicone rubber molds. My favorite subjects are the 18th century, and the Kaiser's Army, so my molds reflect that. 54mm figures, except for the old German molds. Those cast half-round figures that are rather stylized and around 3 inches tall.
Years ago, I met a man at a flea market, who cleaned out old print shops. He sold the trays from printers cabinets for ladies to hang on the wall and fill with little knick-knacks. He also had buckets of type, and some bars of linotype metal. I bought a supply from him, and still haven't used it all up.
The bars were about 25 pounds each, and about 2 feet long. I didn't use those till I had used up the finished type. The finished type was easy enough to use, throwing in a couple pieces at a time. I took me a while to figure out how best to use the bars. I tried cutting off pieces with a hacksaw, but that took too much time and effort. Eventually I got myself some aluminum muffin top pans, and melted the bars down by sticking one end in the pot, and holding the bar vertically. I pour the metal into the muffin top pans to make round pigs that I could add to my pot a couple at a time. They're about the size of our old silver dollars, very practical to use.
As far as the tire weights are concerned, I use them to adjust the alloy, depending on the molds. With my silicone molds, linotype metal works better, because it's formulated for use with mold with fine details. With my metal molds, a little more lead content helps keep the metal fluid till a pour fills the mold.
It's all drop casting, too, just pouring the molten metal into the top of the mold till it's filled. I have though about getting a spin-caster, but I don't really do enough casting anymore to justify that expense.
It's fun to do. And I started as a kid, years ago, making molds of some Airfix figures out of plaster, and melting tire weights over the alcohol burner from a chemistry set. I learned that plaster isn't very good for casting hot metal, since the molds only last a couple of pours. But later I discovered companies who sell molds, and those who would make them. I have not bothered making my own, so far.

Are you making bullets?
I forgot to speak to this comment. The casting pot I use is actually one sold to black powder enthusiasts for just that purpose, casting musket balls. It's a small pot, basically a ladle with a heating coil inside. It holds about 3 pounds of metal.
There is a larger pot that holds more, and pours via a spigot at its bottom, but that was too expensive for me, when I was starting out. It's probably more metal at one shot, than I need to melt.

Latest posts

Back