Star Wars Theme Group Build

Everyone's builds are looking great!

Made some more progress today:

Riser so I could bury one knee joint a bit
Base_SM.jpg

Base layer of Sculptamold. First time using it. Not too bad to work with. Takes a while to dry, but luckily it was 91 F today so I let it bake outside for most of the day while I primed the model.
1stLayer_SM.jpg

To get the impression, I put a bunch down and then put cling wrap over it and pressed the model down. Worked pretty good. Most of this will be under snow anyhow.
GroundBase3_SM.jpg
GroundBase2_SM.jpg

Glad I joined this GB. Haven't built anything in a while, it's good motivation.

View attachment 121347

Base layer of Sculptamold. First time using it. Not too bad to work with. Takes a while to dry, but luckily it was 91 F today so I let it bake outside for most of the day while I primed the model.
View attachment 121348

To get the impression, I put a bunch down and then put cling wrap over it and pressed the model down. Worked pretty good. Most of this will be under snow anyhow.
View attachment 121349
View attachment 121350

Loving your work Foenetik! The impression looks really good.

View attachment 121347

View attachment 121348

View attachment 121349
View attachment 121350

Looking good, it's always fun to build while watching others build something similar. It stops you getting side tracked. Pantherman

Had my first minor disaster in the past day when I discovered I'd lost the rear gun which I was ready to install. A desperate search failed to find it and I was staring down the barrel of not being able to complete the Shuttle (an OCD's worst nightmare).

As I was looking through some miscellaneous greeblies I had stashed away, I came across a missing quad gun from my old Millennium Falcon model kit which has unfortunately seen better days. That gave me an idea for a solution. The wishbone caliper that would have held the quad in place was fortunately still on the model so I decided to grab it and repurpose it. I think it looks pretty good, all things considered.

20240804_133507.jpg
20240804_125004.jpg
20240804_133731.jpg
20240804_185732.jpg
20240804_185737.jpg

Had my first minor disaster in the past day when I discovered I'd lost the rear gun which I was ready to install. A desperate search failed to find it and I was staring down the barrel of not being able to complete the Shuttle (an OCD's worst nightmare).

As I was looking through some miscellaneous greeblies I had stashed away, I came across a missing quad gun from my old Millennium Falcon model kit which has unfortunately seen better days. That gave me an idea for a solution. The wishbone caliper that would have held the quad in place was fortunately still on the model so I decided to grab it and repurpose it. I think it looks pretty good, all things considered.

View attachment 121361
View attachment 121362
View attachment 121363
View attachment 121364
View attachment 121365
Cool. Great thinking. Looking like it was made to be there. Pantherman

On the other hand the red flags are that you may not be who you seem and are using "stolen" images of someone else and are trying to lure someone into something nefarious
The first thing I thought is that this is a troll account. Then that "Are the instructions written in Mandarin?" question solidified my suspicion. Best case scenario, it was someone with a bad sense of humor. Or, it's something nefarious as you put it.

I've spent the weekend working on the weathering and detailing and I have to say, I have found it to be a frustrating process. For some reason, the panel line accent colour kept bleeding out from the lines on the model to the point where it was looking blotchy and kept having to rub them back with some turpentine on a q-tip. Achieving the water run off was also testing because I didn't have a real steady hand and I think the q-tip was too thick so that, too, became trial and error. I eventually swapped over to a paint brush gently used some soot to achieve a better-ish look. I used a Tamiya Smoke to achieve the tint in the cockpit window. Again, it wasn't perfect. I was perhaps too heavy handed with the layerin and some of the paint gathered at the bottom of the window but you don't notice it when the window is installed in place. I'm going to slow down a bit with these final steps and stop work if I find myself getting frustrated with it.

20240806_130254.jpg20240806_130311.jpg20240806_130344.jpg20240806_130403.jpg20240806_130331.jpg20240806_130322.jpg

I've spent the weekend working on the weathering and detailing and I have to say, I have found it to be a frustrating process. For some reason, the panel line accent colour kept bleeding out from the lines on the model to the point where it was looking blotchy and kept having to rub them back with some turpentine on a q-tip. Achieving the water run off was also testing because I didn't have a real steady hand and I think the q-tip was too thick so that, too, became trial and error. I eventually swapped over to a paint brush gently used some soot to achieve a better-ish look. I used a Tamiya Smoke to achieve the tint in the cockpit window. Again, it wasn't perfect. I was perhaps too heavy handed with the layerin and some of the paint gathered at the bottom of the window but you don't notice it when the window is installed in place. I'm going to slow down a bit with these final steps and stop work if I find myself getting frustrated with it.

View attachment 121502View attachment 121503View attachment 121504View attachment 121505View attachment 121506View attachment 121507
It just looks cool. Pantherman

OK, my turn for an update on my sofubi Y-Wing. I haven't glued it together yet, so this is just a sloppy dry fit. Thus it doesn't look straight. So far I have only glued the nose cannons to the cockpit pod, sensor array domes to the nacelle tips and the engine cans into place, and I have glued the disk vectrals to the support pylons at the ends of the nacelles but I have yet to secure them to the engine pods, which are also not glued to the engine pylons, the fuselage, cockpit, and such.

IMG_0924.JPG

So what do you think about the pipes? This kit has you furnish your own pipes, so I am using Wave's C-Line copper (brass?) rods. Since some are painting theirs a copper color, I think I might just leave mine unpainted. A viewer on YouTube suggested to me to paint the wires a metallic color for scale, but I think it looks fine as it is. What do you think? They look a bit too shiny since the fluorescent light is shining directly onto them in this picture.

IMG_0925.JPG

Unfortunately, the cockpit really should have been made of resin. The disk vectrals at the end of the nacelles' support pylons are made of resin, so they could have made the canopy of resin too, I think.

I'll paint the R2 astromech with white trim as well as cockpit instrumentation. The nose cannons, top ion turret, and landing gears are pewter while the nacelle pylons are copper (brass?).

OK, my turn for an update on my sofubi Y-Wing. I haven't glued it together yet, so this is just a sloppy dry fit. Thus it doesn't look straight. So far I have only glued the nose cannons to the cockpit pod, sensor array domes to the nacelle tips and the engine cans into place, and I have glued the disk vectrals to the support pylons at the ends of the nacelles but I have yet to secure them to the engine pods, which are also not glued to the engine pylons, the fuselage, cockpit, and such.

View attachment 121529

So what do you think about the pipes? This kit has you furnish your own pipes, so I am using Wave's C-Line copper (brass?) rods. Since some are painting theirs a copper color, I think I might just leave mine unpainted. A viewer on YouTube suggested to me to paint the wires a metallic color for scale, but I think it looks fine as it is. What do you think? They look a bit too shiny since the fluorescent light is shining directly onto them in this picture.

View attachment 121530

Unfortunately, the cockpit really should have been made of resin. The disk vectrals at the end of the nacelles' support pylons are made of resin, so they could have made the canopy of resin too, I think.

I'll paint the R2 astromech with white trim as well as cockpit instrumentation. The nose cannons, top ion turret, and landing gears are pewter while the nacelle pylons are copper (brass?).
I think the pipes look great. Actual metal instead of metallic paint is a win IMHO. Love the markings too. Looking really good.

View attachment 121529

View attachment 121530

It's really looking great. I like the pipes as is.
Pantherman

View attachment 121502View attachment 121503View attachment 121504View attachment 121505View attachment 121506View attachment 121507

Excellent job!

Weathering is looking good, and color looks perfect

View attachment 121529

View attachment 121530

Looks great
Love the color scheme and weathering

Also you can't get more metallic looking than actual metal. Once you add some washes or a bit of grime to it it will look perfect.
Looks a bit more brass than copper though as far as metals, but with the blue and white color scheme the yellow of the brass goes better than a copper color would anyway

Bit more done, most of the detail painting is done, just got to finish the top section.

Now here is where I am looking for some help. I think I would like to finish this without any weathering and I would like to display it in flight, any ideas on how to make a stand would be welcome.

I will then build the same slave 1 but with all the weathering and on the ground so although both are the same model they should look different.

What do you all think? Pantherman
View attachment 120553View attachment 120554View attachment 120555View attachment 120556View attachment 120557View attachment 120558View attachment 120559
So I'm pretty much done with the slave build. No weathering as wanted this one nice and shiny. Just waiting for my stand to arrive and then I will post some finished photos. Pantherman

I thought I would make a start on my Mandalorian so hope it's OK with you all if I add this to the group build ?

I decided to spray the silver coloured parts in chrome, think it looks much better. Pantherman
View attachment 120654View attachment 120655View attachment 120656View attachment 120658View attachment 120659View attachment 120660

View attachment 120657
Got a fair bit more of this kit done. It's all either assembled or waiting for painting prior to assembly.

I'm so glad I decided to have a go at this snap together kit as being in bed trying to glue bit's together just doesn't work .

I will hopefully post some photos tomorrow of where I am with Mando. Pantherman

Got a fair bit more of this kit done. It's all either assembled or waiting for painting prior to assembly.

I'm so glad I decided to have a go at this snap together kit as being in bed trying to glue bit's together just doesn't work .

I will hopefully post some photos tomorrow of where I am with Mando. Pantherman

Hope you feel better soon and nothing too serious

Latest posts

Back