Star Wars Theme Group Build

View attachment 120118Anyone here use Vallejo's chipping medium? I am working on my Y-Wing and I have an under coat of duraluminum. I put some chipping medium on the seems, so that when I paint the top coat I can chip away to the under coat.

HERE IS THE ACTUAL QUESTION…
How long can I leave it and still expect it to reactivate? I put the medium on tonight, but I probably won't paint it until tomorrow.

I'm not sure but interested to find out. I did not realize they had that product

There is a local gaming store around here that has all kinds of Vallejo stuff. I have tried their putty and masking, but did missed the chipping fluid

If it is any good I will have to give it a try

View attachment 120118Anyone here use Vallejo's chipping medium? I am working on my Y-Wing and I have an under coat of duraluminum. I put some chipping medium on the seems, so that when I paint the top coat I can chip away to the under coat.

HERE IS THE ACTUAL QUESTION…
How long can I leave it and still expect it to reactivate? I put the medium on tonight, but I probably won't paint it until tomorrow.
Essentially forever .
It's similar to the acrylic resin used for decals -- expands and loses all adhesion when wetted .

Nice work so far, everyone. Is it too late to get in on this? I didn't see an official start date on the front page. I have a Bandai 1/144 AT-AT lying around I can get going. I'd love to do something more involved, but all my airbrushing stuff is packed. Streaks and smudges will have to do.
The more the merrier. I only really got a start on Saturday. It's gonna be some time till I can get mine finished.

There is a lot more filling than I thought there would be, but then the kit is from the 80's. I ended up installing the lower part of the hull because I thought it would give me too much problems lining up is I installed it on the back instead. The cockpit is primed and base coated.
Slave I (6).jpgSlave I (7).jpgSlave I (8).jpgSlave I (9).jpg

I'm not sure but interested to find out. I did not realize they had that product

There is a local gaming store around here that has all kinds of Vallejo stuff. I have tried their putty and masking, but did missed the chipping fluid

If it is any good I will have to give it a try
I am not sure it is any better than old-fashioned hair spray and salt.

Over two hours of repetitive masking for both gun turrets, only to be then be removed in less than a few minutes :D

Again, Tamiya AS-20 from the rattle can
1721235642045.png
Although it is always exciting taking off the masking to reveal what is under it, hoping there is no bleeding

1721235768365.png

I could have chosen the easy path, and done the "no glass" version, but while it might be necessary for a filming model, it looks unfinished in my opinion.
I know studio scale modelers are probably rolling their eyes, but I want a model of a "real thing", not a model of a model.
I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if hundreds of studio scale modelers cried out at once....
1721235957252.png

For posterity sake, glass vs no glass
1721236097632.png

had to go out in full sunlight to catch a decently lit glimpse of the interior
1721236319988.png
1721236406284.png

Although it is going to be really hard to see anything anyway once everything is in place, even adding an LED behind the seat

1721236564352.png
1721236602486.png

Last edited:
Come on in and join. We are just getting started (except for Gary) LOL!!
Except me. I'll be gearing up for the Phantom build, later when the kit gets here. I had a time finding close enough decals for Col. Stewart's aircraft. And since there aren't any pictures of the entire aircraft I have to kind of guess.
I hope it will be here in a couple of weeks when I'm off

I'm too clumsy to do something like that, but I'd happily paint it :)

Painting is my favorite part, everything else is kind of something that has to be done to get to the painting stage

I know some people love the build part more and that is what is great about this hobby, it can appeal just as much to the artist as the engineer and everything between

Painting is my favorite part, everything else is kind of something that has to be done to get to the painting stage

I know some people love the build part more and that is what is great about this hobby, it can appeal just as much to the artist as the engineer and everything between
I'm definitely more arty than engineer, painting is quite relaxing and de-stressing. I would end up gluing things wrong or my fingers together if I tried building something like that.

I'm definitely more arty than engineer, painting is quite relaxing and de-stressing. I would end up gluing things wrong or my fingers together if I tried building something like that.
Believe it or not, Bandai kits are snap kits. You don't need glue! *

*although some of those tiny parts really could use a drop as sometimes they can come loose

Of course this kit is something ridiculous like 900+ parts, but many of their other kits are quite simple

Latest posts

Back