Using Tamiya Polishing Compound on Other Things

durangod

I was wondering if i can use tamiya polishing compound on other things outside of modeling.

For example i have a scratch on my truck speedometer plastic lense. Also i have some scratches on my eye glasses.

Will it work the same as on model plastic?

IDK ,
I took a whiff and I can't smell anything but that's just from the end of the tube .
I could find only one MSDS on it , in German , and the only compounds listed that they would have to disclose is sodium lauryl ether sulfate , which is in friggin everything and is odorless .
It's a surfactant / detergent -- you've no doubt seen it listed in the ingredients in all kinds of household and personal care products .

The second is 1,3,5-Tris(2-Hydroxyethyl)hexahydro-1,3,5-Triazin
Definitely no sulfur in that , and it's in there at less than 5% of the volume .

I'm sure you know that odor in propane and natural gas is added .
Mercaptan , or more accurately ethyl mercaptan , or ethanethiol .

Did you eat Taco Bell prior ?

It must be a component in the abrasive itself .
Common in cutting fluids and grinding wheels , but I assumed it was only used in hi-speed , machine grinding to prevent chip adhesion .
It must also increase the efficiency even at elbow-grease speeds .
well , I guess using it with a buffing wheel would count as hi-speed .
So I'm going with that .
Which would explain why I can't smell it out of the neck of a room temperature tube .

No Taco Hell for me that day lol... Yeppers i was aware of the additive for the smell.
I was sitting here buffing my lenses using cotton ball and all of a sudden i was like "rut row" i smell gas (i used that term for propane as well). Once you live in an RV for awhile you learn to recognize even the faint smell of propane as your litterally sitting on top of it.

So i got up and went outside, nothing, then came back in and nothing no smell under the sink or around the fridge or bedroom. But then i went back to the desk and bam it hit me again, its a very faint smell. Thats why i knew it was the compound.

I learned the hard way when i smell something, dont ever think its the people next door, assume its your RV. I reported smoke in the air during one of my trips and ask the office at the campground to ask people to calm down on the fireplace and outside burning if they could as it was not that cold out and i was coughing on the smoke. I was so used to smoke from someone else being sucked into the air conditioner i thought nothing of it that it could be me.

A few later it was my RV the whole time. There was a metal electrical box installed inside a piece of furniture and the wire nut had come lose and it was sparking against the box when the RV moved. I got very lucky it did not catch fire. When an RV burns its pretty much like kindling, burns very very quickly, no real time to put it out or grab any belongings, you just get out any way you can. I have watched one burn where i used to live, its not pretty and it was nothing but a frame in no time at all.

So after that i opened every box, every switch plate, outlet, and anything i could get my hands on in the wall, AC, and panel and made sure any wire nuts were taped tightly. Then i removed the metal box from inside that piece of furniture and replaced it with a mini panel with 2 breakers and with GFCI receptacles. Now that i know they also have GFCI panel breakers as well its on my list to install those also.

Basically when i smell something my ears pop up lol.... I smelled rotten eggs one time, come to find out it was one of my two RV batteries had run almost dry and was very hot. Now i check the water in them 3-4 times a year to be sure.

I was also reading one time that if you use a chemical or drop ins in the black tank to eat up the poo and paper, dont put bleach in your toilet, it will create a orderless gas that is deadly.

Yes , never ignore abnormal conditions .

You might be able to smell it straight from the tube , I'm curious how much sulfur it contains .
It's abrasive all on it's own and probably quite effective against plastics .
I never got 100% of my ability to smell a lot of stuff back , after that head injury .
I didn't work with gas systems for years without someone else with me since I couldn't smell it at all .
I can detect it again these days but the average person will be able to smell much lower concentrations than myself .

Yep TBI is not easy to adjust too as it seems to always play tricks on senses and abilities. I woke up one morning and the pattern on the wallpaper was moving up the wall, i kept shaking my head thinking i could clear it, but didnt work, lasted about 10 min then went away. Eye Dr said he thinks my TBI was playing tricks on my vision.

I read that almost all TBI sufferers have damage to a part deep in the brain which causes severe exhaustion, there are some times i cant even roll over im so exhausted and its even an effort to breathe im so tired. Lasts about half a day and its gone who knows when it will return. Sorry to hear that you suffer from head injury as well, it sucks i know.

Latest posts

Back