What was your car growing up (high school car)

durangod

I had two cars in high school, one (my fav) was a 1967 Mercury Cougar with a V8 289 engine, and the other a 1967 mustang coupe with a inline 6 200 ci engine.

Both were cool cars but i enjoyed the cougar more. Oh if i had just hung on to them till now, money money money... If i could ever find a good buy on a 67 cougar i would buy it. Same goes for a good buy on a model as well. But after my boat restore.... :) I did run the vin number of my old cougar but nowhere to be found, probably rusting in some field somewhere.

What was your high school car?

@TimM63 I forgot how nice the monte carlos were, cool stuff. Now that is a chick magnet :)

well @Down Time yeah i loved the AMC's I always wanted a AMC Eagle back in those days.

My very first car did not even run, it was a old chevy vega with an aluminum head that had warped. I used to sit out in the car and play the radio and pretend i was driving lol hee hee I ended up trading it for some work on my cougar.

I had two cars in high school, one (my fav) was a 1967 Mercury Cougar with a V8 289 engine, and the other a 1967 mustang coupe with a inline 6 200 ci engine.

Both were cool cars but i enjoyed the cougar more. Oh if i had just hung on to them till now, money money money... If i could ever find a good buy on a 67 cougar i would buy it. Same goes for a good buy on a model as well. But after my boat restore.... :) I did run the vin number of my old cougar but nowhere to be found, probably rusting in some field somewhere.

You should've put the 289 in the Mustang!!

I was restoring the mustang so i had to go with what was OEM engine for that model number. I did however put in a brand new straight 6 but i added 6 - 1 barrel carbs from california mustang and the special intake manifold for it.

I will never forget, it had a manual foot pump windshield washer unit that had a bag in the engine compartment. If you wanted to wash your windows you pumped the pedal on the left side (where most emergency brakes are now) and it pumped water on the windshield. Try doing that on a muddy road at night while driving a stick shift lol if was a interesting. :)

It had alittle 3 speed tranny and i thought i could man handle it.. So when i removed it laying on the ground under that tiny little box trany, it layed on my chest and i was stuck and could not breathe, i learned the hard way how heavy those things are. I was finally able to roll over enough to slide of off of me before i passed out hee hee... fun times... :)

It helped alot that i was taking an automotive course in college at the time so alot of the work i got done for free. Then along came a drunk one night about 2 weeks after i had it painted. He had a huge spare tire frame on the front of his truck, he hit the mustang right square in the back end on the street. Smashed it almost flat all the way to the back of the front seats. I found my rear mounted speakers 3 doors down at the neighbor's house along with most of my tools that were in my toolbox in the trunk.

Overall i spent about 7 grand getting that car cherry, all that was left was the seats and carpet and just about every nut and bolt was new. Insurance gave me 3500 bucks for it. That was the last time i devoted that much time to restoring a car. Im sure the junk yard made alot of money off the all the new parts that were undamaged.

Wow so many typos, lol

Last edited:
A blue and silver 1985 Silverado, long bed and dual fuel tanks. I cried when it got totaled.

First was a 66 Ford Fairlane with a front seat that rocked because the floorboard around the front seat posts had rusted out. I think it had a 302 engine if I remember correctly the second was a 69 Dodge Coronet with a 318, Can't remember how many starters I had to replace on that but it was more than one. Probably because I got the replacements from the junk yard. LOL. Loved that care though because it was the first one I bought myself. The Fairlane was a hand me down. Oh I also had a Honda 350 my senior year, that was fun little bike.

67 Cougar is my dream car, in a metallic turquoise. I'm more into motorcycles though these days...

My high school car was a 77' Mustang II and a 80' Thunderbird with T-tops.

Nothing as exotic for me..my parental units upgraded to a Grand Prix so I was handed down this beauty...
DSC01068.JPGDSC01067.JPG
1976 Pontiac Grand Safari !!
Seat belts for 8, but we rarely used them, home stereo speakers velcroed down in the back back with additional velcro on the roof for parked entertaining. Floated like a boat on the streets, Ahhh the memories.

Nothing as exotic for me..my parental units upgraded to a Grand Prix so I was handed down this beauty...
View attachment 124047View attachment 124048
1976 Pontiac Grand Safari !!
Seat belts for 8, but we rarely used them, home stereo speakers velcroed down in the back back with additional velcro on the roof for parked entertaining. Floated like a boat on the streets, Ahhh the memories.
The good ole "family truckster." Got to love it.

I wanted a Hearse but my parents said no. Still can't figure out why they refused. :rolleyes:

1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 - 383 V-8 with a 4-Barrel Carb - you could hear the gas being sucked into the carb when you hit the gas hard.
After the Gremlin, I had a '73 Olds Omega, Rocket 350 with the 4 barrel carb. Thing was a monster, total sleeper car, embarrassed a lot of others at red lights.

Didn't own a car in my high school years. However, I was given my grandparents' car for college - 1964 Dodge Dart push button automatic, slant six. I loved that car. Didn't last me a summer due to a part of the frame fell out while driving. Took it to a mechanic and was told the frame is rusted. No way it will pas inspection.

Ended up buying a '75 Chevy Monza, then a '78 Pontiac Sunbird and finally a '78 Monte Carlo. Blew the 305 engine and had a 350 put in. All in my early 20s and living at home.

Other cars I had :
Late 80s Mercury Topaz
'90 Chevy Lumina Eurosport - married by then
2002 Toyota Tacoma
2002 Toyota Matrix (had to trade in the Tacoma due to baby on the way
2010 Ford Fusion, inherited a 2000 something Toyota Corolla after the missus was in accident with the Matrix
2013 Ford Escape
Currently drive 2022 Hyundai Kona - wasn't my first choice during the pandemic (the Escape was getting costly for repairs) but have a love/hate relation with that damn car. Trunk is pathetic. My Matrix had a bigger trunk than the Kona

my car in high school...

a Septa bus and the Subway :D

I did not have a car in high school. Living in Philly I could get anywhere I needed to with public transportation, walking, or riding my bike

but if I had a drivers license and could buy a car then, I would have gone for something like this

1725569301723.png

and I would have been wearing my black Members Only jacket

1725569492982.png

Unless I was wearing my denim jacket that I painted the Number of the Beast cover on the back of

If you could not tell, I grew up in the early 80s and high school was mid 80s

Last edited:
my car in high school...

a Septa bus and the Subway :D

I did not have a car in high school. Living in Philly I could get anywhere I needed to with public transportation, walking, or riding my bike

but if I had a drivers license and could buy a car then, I would have gone for something like this

View attachment 124102

and I would have been wearing my black Members Only jacket

View attachment 124104

Unless I was wearing my denim jacket that I painted the Number of the Beast cover on the back of

If you could not tell, I grew up in the early 80s and high school was mid 80s
Don't forget the parachute pants.

Latest posts

Back