Would model builders buy dis-assembled airbrushes?

KenBadger

Model builders assemble fine-scale models. (Duh, probably news to all here.) Airbrushes need be assembled. Would you buy them dis-assmebled and assemble yourself?

Concern from mfg. side (at least in my case) - we test every one, if sent out dis-assembled we couldn't do that.

I guess this is a kind of a reverse 'feed the mayonaise to the Tuna' idea for modelers specifically.

Maybe we could put the parts of three different airbrushes into one bulk kit without instructions, and let the builder try to figure out what goes where. That might be an even more fun project than a single airbrush kit with assembly instructions.

I know, for me, assembling a brush isn't a problem. If it means a difference as far as economy goes then sure.

What could be neat is having a 'kit' that contains a couple varieties of parts and depending on assembly you get a different brush...beyond a needle/tip swap. I'm not sure how that would work but a 2n1`or 3n1 is always cool - added value and customization is always a good thing too.

Also, consider a product like an iPod, or iPad....there are tons of accessories to personalize them. Of course there is a cost in providing all those options...but just thinking out loud.

And to think I was kind of posting tongue in cheek.

BTW, how long before I'm no longer experimenting?

had to take my one apart the other day to give it a good clean, and it was very easy to do so, (its a badger) So if there is some form of instruction then it wouldnt be bad if you have options.

[quote author=KenBadger]
And to think I was kind of posting tongue in cheek.
[/quote]

Oh!?! Then forget what I said.

[quote author=KenBadger]
BTW, how long before I'm no longer experimenting?
[/quote]

50 posts. You're getting there!

While I know this is a joke....but,

If it was just broken down into the basic components, I think most anyone that builds models, could re-assemble an airbrush, if however you want to break down the air valve, and take out all the teflon seals...that might be a bit hard for some.

Of course in the end...what really would be the point. You wouldn't save much if any on packaging size, and you run the risk of the needle getting banged up.

As a spray painter for around 20yrs Im well used to building spray guns and airbrushes ...so yeah it wouldnt be a problem here ;D Something I like to do is swap parts out to see what difference I can make ,I made myself a few good custom spray guns for the paintshop doing that :)

Chris.

See, now I didn't see it as a joke at all. Call me naive...but

I think it's a good idea to ask your customers what could be done to your product to make it better for their particular application.

Could there be a golden idea that comes out of a conversation with modelers about ideas in developing a better brush for modelers?...Yes, I would think so.

Aside from the humorous side if things....an AB Base if you will is actually a tremendous idea. I myself do not have issues with reverse assembling a dismembered AB. I do like the idea of combining one or two variants in one. Versatility is always welcome. I run two AB's (Paasche Bottom Feeder and The Badger Sotar) now with three different needles and I am still looking at buying the Krome, simply for the larger cup, not to mention the balance. So YES, very interesting!! ;)

Guess it would depend on the AB. I have a couple of badger AB's. I also have two Revell Student and Profi AB's..those are simple and easy two break down.
So if you were serious then it would depend on the AB....of course like with anything else it depends on the person. Could have some one who can build the crap out of a model, but can't hammer a nail in a wall ;D...before you say it Ken, no, I'm good with a hammer ;D ;D

Might be something that can be done on a small scale sample thingy. You pick a few folks to try it out. Might just work out

Interesting. I may actually discuss various interchangeability and compatibility options with the engineer. who knows with 30+ different airbrushes maybe we have the ability to do a cost effective 5 or 6 in 1 airbrush. May actually give this some thought. It will at least make it on the office whiteboard.

Interesting marketing project as well.

and I thought I was kidding. Guess I'm just experimenting. still

Make a spreadsheet logging the compatibility of different components and accessories and see where that puts you. My entire business is based on the idea of interchangeable parts that customers can pick and choose to make exactly what they need. If there's enough cross-compatibility between airbrush parts, you could start offering custom designed airbrushes that would be unique to that builder's needs.

I will be following this thread with interest. Putting together an airbrush from a kit is a good idea. I once bought an RC heli, and if you didn't put that thing together, you would have no idea what to do with it if you ever crashed it.

If it came with good directions, explaining what every part was and how it worked, I am in!

Chris S said:
As a spray painter for around 20yrs Im well used to building spray guns and airbrushes ...so yeah it wouldnt be a problem here ;D Something I like to do is swap parts out to see what difference I can make ,I made myself a few good custom spray guns for the paintshop doing that :)

Chris.

Now I know that you got mad painting skills!!! :eek:

on topic, I guess its like a tattoo artist customizing his needle... and for Model Builders for some it would be a great opportunity to have your very own customize AB, aside from inter changing the needle but for some it would be Hell rise above the earth, and it would make you pull out your hair, just like ranting ^^

I'm all for it. Either in a 5- or 6-in-1 complete package or a 'build-your-airbrush' method: A dual-action base model with top, side, or bottom feed; screw-on top feed or siphon color cup sizes to pick from; needle-tip sets to choose; additional accessories (hoses, cleaning tools, a choice of compressors, holders, cleaning stations, etc.) as needed for a fully customizable package? Just thinking out loud, although the added cost of custom-packing specific orders probably would not make it economical...

As well, most airbrush manufacturers already offer a range of pre-packaged products that likely suit the needs of most people out there already.

But if a disassembled airbrush means putting more people in the financial means of making the purchase, why not?

What about a left handed AB ;D ...I'll get me coat ::)

Chris.

We have 6 different base nozzle types (most with size variations), 2 different trigger linkage systems, several handle options, at least three trigger types, and I'm sure there other design elements I'm not yet thinking of that we have offerable choices to incorporate into a build your own airbrush kit product. Fact of the matter is if you figured out all the compatiability/interchangeability elements from airbrush series to airbrush series, you could pick and choose from our parts list and do a lot of customizing already - but I think a manufacturer guided streamlining would be more efficient and attractive. I have an 8 hour Toy Fair plane trip coming up, I'm guessing this might get some in flight notebook time. This tongue in cheek post might turn into a fun little project.

Ken,

I use DeVILBISS gravity sprayguns for my auto painting , The bodies of the guns are all basically the same ,which means the interchangability (big word ;D ) is very good ,I can contact my supplier and order up different needles ,fluid caps nozzles etc and build the gun I want out of one body ,have a look at their site at the gun comparison page ,something like this is very handy ....

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/SprayGunComparison.aspx

Chris.

Chris...that online tool is fantastic! Thanks for linking that...gives me some great ideas for future webdesign projects I work on.

Latest posts

Back