Can anyone comment on "GWH" (Great Wall Hobby)

Edbert

I'd like to get a P-40 into my on-deck circle, and of course want the highest quality possible under ~$125 USD.

1/48 is my tradition, and most of my cabinet, but I'm really digging the 1/32s lately if the kit is REALLY good.

Looks like most of the 1/32 P-40s are old except this one (below) and I do not trust, nah...I have never heard of GWH.

1728870247123.png

Hey @Down Time are they any good? (the instructions would suggest yes)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/great-wall-hobby-l3201-curtiss-hawk-81-a2-flying-tigers--1169896

But this over $150, which also says yes.

Yeah, that price is pretty nasty, even for a top quality kit. I bought the Zoukei Mori (sp?) 1/32 on sale and it was still slightly over $100.

I guess it is no wonder that few people have experience with them. But thanks for the reply, much more helpful to hear from a forum member than some youtuber, and most of those links were to "unboxing" videos which I've never found helpful. Scalemates tell me what is in the box, I want to know how it fits together with glue and paint :)

My issue with most of the P40 kits is they are pretty old molds, I'm too old to want to fight with a sloppy kit.

Yeah, that price is pretty nasty, even for a top quality kit. I bought the Zoukei Mori (sp?) 1/32 on sale and it was still slightly over $100.

I guess it is no wonder that few people have experience with them. But thanks for the reply, much more helpful to hear from a forum member than some youtuber, and most of those links were to "unboxing" videos which I've never found helpful. Scalemates tell me what is in the box, I want to know how it fits together with glue and paint :)

My issue with most of the P40 kits is they are pretty old molds, I'm too old to want to fight with a sloppy kit.
I find those unboxing videos to be.....trying to be nice here.....oh I'll just say this....STUPID. I guess in the minds of those that make them they must think they are the first person to ever open a box. They are useless. We all know what comes in a model kit.

I apologize if I am asking dumb questions, but there are so many new model companies around today, it is boggling.

What's the story with "I love Kit"?

Are they higher end with just a strange name? They have the most expensive 1/48 F-22 kit, but not a lot of information other than youtubers seeking hits.

What's the story with "I love Kit"?
As said above, it's just a brand name from the same company that's behind Trumpeter and Hobby Boss. I get the impression I ❤️ Kit is intended as kind of the "niche", "oddball subjects" and/or "high-end" brand, given the models they release, but that's based on the 1:35 scale ones I know they do, as aircraft kits are not my main interest. The name, IMHO, is just one of those East Asian ones that seems to make little sense in and of themselves — like Amusing Hobby or Bronco.

I can't speak for the kit you are looking at, but I am almost finished the GWH 1/72 F-14

https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/gwh-1-72-f-14-d.14374/

That kit was incredible as far as details and options for a 1/72 kit. I think the part count was close to 300 parts which for a 1/72 kit is a lot. I know the box was big for 1/72 and stuffed

Some of the reasons for the high part count was all of the options given. While not in the instructions, there were parts to build other variants as well as two options for landing gear/tires (compressed and not compressed) two engine feather options, flaps and slats down etc....

Just about any panels that could be opened up had the option to do so

Tons of ordinance configuration options which some kits (looking at you Hasegawa) seem to skimp on

Decals were very nice and easy to work with. Also had four different markings available, two CAG birds and two "generic" ones

Plastics is similar to Tamiya and Hasegawa. Fit for things were perfect. Also it was well engineered to minimize seam lines obscuring detail and very nice panel lines

Kit was a bit pricey, but considering what you get with it compared to the cost of some other kits, it is not too bad

If your favorite scale is 1/48, and you want to build a P-40B, you could get Airfix' kit. It's got nice detail and it's reasonably priced. It builds into a good model of the P-40B (though I still enjoy building the old Monogram kit, too).

It's just a new brand from Trumpeter / Hobby Boss
This^^^^^

Great Wall has been around for awhile. Not a stranger in the model kits world. Some companies may be new to you but are actually older than you.

If you're into WW1 aircraft subjects, Wing Nuts is reputed to be the top of the line kits and crazy stupid expensive. Sadly they're no longer in business. Wing Nuts kits still can be found on eBay but be prepared to see them listed for stupid money.

Back