i got tamiya glue on my clear plastic

yes , it's only 7-1/2 cents an ounce at that amount .

What are you talking about that is 9 to 14 bucks for a 2oz bottle ?
I thought you were talking about that canopy glue and the price went thru the roof for some insane reason , but it's the same 3 bucks I paid for it years back .
I think it was 2.99 a couple years ago :
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...u=0&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&man=ZAP
Yeah i ordered same stuff but red bottle. When i first looked it up on ebay i got 9 to 14 bucks range in my results, but those were just price gougers and yeah i ordered at similar price. Thanks :)

I use Tamiya extra thin on my clear parts. It works best prior to painting but I've been doing closed canopies lately which are attached prior to painting the aircraft. For open canopies I attach the opened piece with PVA since the model is already painted and almost complete at that point. Don't want to mess up the paint with extra thin.

when i glued my windshield in the glue ran onto the clear plastic.

Superclean does not work, should i use my plastic polish

View attachment 125820
Yeah, the glue etched the plastic. SuperClean is a degreaser, a solvent, basically, and it won't undo the chemical etching that the glue caused. Like Momo and others have said, you have to polish it out, as fine as you can get it, then use a clear acrylic to fill in the fine scratches to make the surface as smooth as possible. That will let light pass through again with as little scattering as possible.

Yeah, the glue etched the plastic. SuperClean is a degreaser, a solvent, basically, and it won't undo the chemical etching that the glue caused. Like Momo and others have said, you have to polish it out, as fine as you can get it, then use a clear acrylic to fill in the fine scratches to make the surface as smooth as possible. That will let light pass through again with as little scattering as possible.
it came pretty clean after polishing and the window frame hid the worst of it. Just a small foggy spot remained and i can live with that.

To elaborate on this original post let me explain the reasons behind it. I was so excited that the progress went from very slow to wow im almost done seemed like in a flash. Then this happened even though i thought i was being very careful.

So what is the normal reaction when something happens, STOP the damage STOP the bleeding. I panicked and squirted it with superclean as fast as possible, not realizing that the damage had already been done and i was not going to STOP anything :( I was thinking in the moment "delute delute delute". I hope that makes since.

Now that i understand that fact and things make more since now, i can learn that there is no deluting anything. Chemical damage happens faster than the blink of an eye. Much different than working with metal or wood.

I went from excited to panic mode and crashing in a hurry. I hope this explains the post and my reaction. I do sincerely thank every one of you for your replies good and bad as its all a part of learning for me.

:)

Now that i understand that fact and things make more since now, i can learn that there is no "delute delute delute" deluting anything . I hope that makes since.
Next time, try diluting while your dancing around waving your hands in the air during your superclean chant.

Maybe the "STOP the bleeding" gods will smile on you.

Still won't fix damage though. Just remove chrome, paint and grease.

Rob.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:
Yeah i ordered same stuff but red bottle. When i first looked it up on ebay i got 9 to 14 bucks range in my results, but those were just price gougers and yeah i ordered at similar price. Thanks :)
Why are looking in eBay for all your hobby needs and kits? Scalehobbyist is a better store than eBay.

Why are looking in eBay for all your hobby needs and kits? Scalehobbyist is a better store than eBay.
Because i already have an account with ebay, so its a similar price, free shipping in most cases and less input to purchase making the whole process faster. Plus there are some ebay buyer protections i get that i dont get from an individual seller as well as feedback that alot of individual sites dont have. Thats the business end of the reason.

Personal reason, as a web programmer that website looks like its 25+ years old in its coding. It does not scream im current, safe and professional when i look at it (not eye candy but some basic asthetics). It looks like a web site builder that a 3rd grader made up. Knowing what things look like behind scene as in server side code gives me an insite that probably alot of people on here dont know or care about. I am not saying that what i just said above is true as i have not investigated the site or its background or its code. I am just simply speaking off the cuff from many years experience in what seems to be 2+2 = 2, sometimes it does not but the majority of the time it does, i hope that makes sense. Thats the personal reason but its not a personal attack on the site, just my head getting in the way of my choices is all so dont take that as a negative. One persons nice car is another persons dreaded car, just a personal choice. :) no offense intended.

So what you're saying, you're dead on making your purchases no place else than fleabay or Amazon? I guess saving a few bucks somewhere else isn't your cup of tea because you say some sites looked Iike a "3rd grader designed it".

Honestly, I rarely make purchases on eBay unless it's something I've been wanting to get. I definitely will not buy anything on Amazon at all.

Scalehobbyist is and always will be my #1 go-to for all my hobby needs. Hobbylinc is a close second if Scalehobbyist doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Don't sell yourself short by looking elsewhere to save a few bucks on any hobby-related stuff. I get it that's your hardwired to make all your purchases via eBay or Amazon and no where else. But hey, it's your money not mine.

The reason I love Scalehobbyist is because the site is simple to navigate through unlike Spruebrothers - a site they make it a bit over complicated to search products.

So what you're saying, you're dead on making your purchases no place else than fleabay or Amazon? I guess saving a few bucks somewhere else isn't your cup of tea because you say some sites looked Iike a "3rd grader designed it".

Honestly, I rarely make purchases on eBay unless it's something I've been wanting to get. I definitely will not buy anything on Amazon at all.

Scalehobbyist is and always will be my #1 go-to for all my hobby needs. Hobbylinc is a close second if Scalehobbyist doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Don't sell yourself short by looking elsewhere to save a few bucks on any hobby-related stuff. I get it that's your hardwired to make all your purchases via eBay or Amazon and no where else. But hey, it's your money not mine.

The reason I love Scalehobbyist is because the site is simple to navigate through unlike Spruebrothers - a site they make it a bit over complicated to search products.
i agree about spruebrothers its a pain. Im not 100% unsold on SH site i do look there so a purchase may come at some point after some poking around. The key item for me is to be sure my transaction is safe and site is secure.

i agree about spruebrothers its a pain. Im not 100% unsold on SH site i do look there so a purchase may come at some point after some poking around. The key item for me is to be sure my transaction is safe and site is secure.
Scalehobbyist transaction is very safe and secure. Don't get too nervous about it. I've been ordering from Scalehobbyist for the last 10 years and never had a problem with them. Take the anxiety and doubt out of your mind and prove me wrong.

I'd be more worried about some dishonest sellers on eBay more than worrying about Scalehobbyist reputation. Believe me, I've been burned a couple times by idiotic stupid sellers on eBay in the past. Now I only trust two eBay sellers, that's it.

I apologize in advance because I sound defensive in siding with Scalehobbyist site. It bothers me when folks question Scalehobbyist if they're legit or not. A good number of hobbyists do order stuff there.

Last edited:
Scalehobbyist transaction is very safe and secure. Don't get too nervous about it. I've been ordering from Scalehobbyist for the last 10 years and never had a problem with them. Take the anxiety and doubt out of your mind and prove me wrong.

I'd be more worried about some dishonest sellers on eBay more than worrying about Scalehobbyist reputation. Believe me, I've been burned a couple times by idiotic stupid sellers on eBay in the past. Now I only trust two eBay sellers, that's it.

I apologize in advance because I sound defensive in siding with Scalehobbyist site. It bothers me when folks question Scalehobbyist if they're legit or not. A good number of hobbyists do order stuff there.
i respect your experience and suggestions, thanks for answering some of my future questions in advance. :)

Back