Star Wars Theme Group Build

Ooh, missed this earlier

looking forward to see how everyone's turns out

This could be the push I need to get some of the backlog done

The question is, does it need to be a kit started from scratch, or can it be a long stalled build that was started a few years ago?

I've got the following...

Round2 1/72 Razor Crest untouched in the box
Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon (started on the cockpit and a bit of the maintenance wells years ago, then stopped)
Fine Molds 1/72 Slave-1 (started nearly 10 years ago, then shelved while I tried to figure out how to get the wing rotating mechanisms functional instead of static kit parts)

Ooh, missed this earlier

The question is, does it need to be a kit started from scratch, or can it be a long stalled build that was started a few years ago?

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon (started on the cockpit and a bit of the maintenance wells years ago, then stopped)
Fine Molds 1/72 Slave-1 (started nearly 10 years ago, then shelved while I tried to figure out how to get the wing rotating mechanisms functional instead of static kit parts)
Go ahead and bring your long stalled project back to life! I think this is all about finding inspiration.

Ooh, missed this earlier

We kinda make it up as we go so basically build whatever you want as long as it's vaguely got something to do with sci-fi.

So welcome aboard and post loads of photos. Pantherman

Ooh, missed this earlier

Anything you want, Blake, whether it has been started or a new build. Were happy to have you join us, as always.

Ooh, missed this earlier

Which version of the fine molds do you have? I picked up the one without Han, I believe that is the only difference. I've looked through the kit some but am holding off on that build for myself. If I can ever find one with Han at a reasonable price I will probably pick it up. I would love to do a diorama on Cloud City loading Han.

Luckily I have 5-6 other versions of the Slave I to choose from. I decided on the MPC for this build. Bought it off ebay a few years ago and hope all of the parts are there.

so as a bench mark to where I am at, this is what I have done with the 1/72 Falcon so far

started back in 2017 !!! based on pic dates

First was to paint all the figures as I had to get the cockpit painted and buttoned up before continuing

They give you seated figures, which have great details, but are very rigidly posed. I have seen some amazing 3-D printed/resin cast figures but having already shelled out
I had got it on pre-order from Amazon way back when the kit was first released. Definitely the most expensive kit I have bought, but at least I got it for a decent discount price compared to MSRP at the time. Timing wise it coincided with my 20th anniversary at work and they gave me a bunch of gift cards otherwise it would have normally been well out of reach.

At any rate, not wanting to spend more I decide to try modifying the poses to make them more life like. So out came the green stuff and chopping off the stiff arms in lap poses

1720632393815.png
1720632445198.png

and finally all painted up

1720632683844.png
1720632741107.png

and eventually got Luke in there and just before snapping this picture I hooked up the lighting module that came with the kit

also realizing now how much dust has accumulated. Have to break out the duster

1720640411797.png
1720640956253.png
1720640567683.png

1720641045228.png

I want to have C-3P0 standing there in the back so I had to convert him from a sitting poses to a standing one

1720640820489.png
1720640850137.png

Which version of the fine molds do you have? I picked up the one without Han, I believe that is the only difference. I've looked through the kit some but am holding off on that build for myself. If I can ever find one with Han at a reasonable price I will probably pick it up. I would love to do a diorama on Cloud City loading Han.

Luckily I have 5-6 other versions of the Slave I to choose from. I decided on the MPC for this build. Bought it off ebay a few years ago and hope all of the parts are there.
I have the one that has the white metal Han in carbonite.

Have Boba painted up, but not Han yet
1720641417942.png

I really wanted to pick up the Jango Fett version as well (which is just a few sprue piece differences) but that is out of my price range at this point

When I look at some of the pics of the figures I can't help but think how blotchy the paint job is and how and soft they look, but I keep having to remind myself that is an extreme zoom and these are actually quite small

1720641576075.png

I did 3-D print some Han and Chewbacca's to stand outside if I display in landed mode. Printed out duplicates with different supports since it does not change the print time, and figured I might have a better chance of something coming out if I try different methods of supporting.

Figured I would paint up the ones that turned out the best detail wise and then pick the best paint job. I had sent the duplicate pair off to a friend

1720641815578.png

Funny enough, Bandai had produced standing figures which I am certain were originally meant to be included in the kit, but when they had that whole licensing fiasco that forced them to remove standing figures they got scrapped. However, since the design work and probably molds were already done, they released them in Japan only as "gashapon collectibles" (basically vending machine trinket stuff like you would see at the supermarkets here in the US). They were also pre-painted
1720642051142.png

I picked up a set from Tesla Toys

1720642108977.png

so as a bench mark to where I am at, this is what I have done with the 1/72 Falcon so far

First was to paint all the figures as I had to get the cockpit painted and buttoned up before continuing

They give you seated figures, which have great details, but are very rigidly posed. I have seen some amazing 3-D printed/resin cast figures but having already shelled out
I had got it on pre-order from Amazon way back when the kit was first released. Definitely the most expensive kit I have bought, but at least I got it for a decent discount price compared to MSRP at the time. Timing wise it coincided with my 20th anniversary at work and they gave me a bunch of gift cards otherwise it would have normally been well out of reach.

At any rate, not wanting to spend more I decide to try modifying the poses to make them more life like. So out came the green stuff and chopping off the stiff arms in lap poses

View attachment 119603
View attachment 119604

View attachment 119605
View attachment 119606

and eventually got Luke in there and just before snapping this picture I hooked up the lighting module that came with the kit

View attachment 119619
View attachment 119629
View attachment 119620

View attachment 119630

I want to have C-3P0 standing there in the back so I had to convert him from a sitting poses to a standing one

View attachment 119627
View attachment 119628
Great work. I love the detail!

I started on the PE for the 1/72 Y-Wing.
Little teeny bits. The toothpick is for scale.

View attachment 119652

View attachment 119653

wait until you start planting all the greeblies and piping on the body. Not quite as bad as working with the Fine Molds one, but it is lots of tiny parts.

I think I spent as much time trying to find parts I dropped as I did building that area

wait until you start planting all the greeblies and piping on the body. Not quite as bad as working with the Fine Molds one, but it is lots of tiny parts.

I think I spent as much time trying to find parts I dropped as I did building that area
The dreaded carpet monster lives here too.

6009759_1 (2).jpg

View attachment 119603
View attachment 119604

View attachment 119605
View attachment 119606

View attachment 119619
View attachment 119629
View attachment 119620

View attachment 119630

View attachment 119627
View attachment 119628
Very nice, I've thought the same thing when I would take zoomed in shot and later think that they will not be looked at with magnifying glass.

Latest posts

Back